*HELP NEEDED* Fixing NAD 3220pe

moatarm73

Standard Member
Hi,

I got hold of a second hand NAD 3220pe amplifier. Got it all plugged in, sounded wonderful, but after the third track of a cd (wasn't playing very loud, less than quarter volume) there was a flash and a puff of smoke.

Switched it off, rather dismayed, and opened it up to ascertain the problem.

As far as I can tell it is the smallest connection that has blown (I'm blaming too much dust, have since cleaned it out a bit and will clean it out more), and I'm wondering if it is repairable.

Can anyone help?

It looks to me like you could just solder the blown connection back down onto the board? I'm a complete novice in the field of electrical engineering and amps, so forgive my ignorance. Would probably end up getting someone else to do the soldering, if anyone thinks its possible/worth it.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

See photos below (1) General shot of inside, with blown bit circled crudely in red (2) close up of blown connection.

P1120331.jpg

P1120332.jpg

reddish75

are the glass fuses still intact at the right of the photo? It seems strange that a wire jumper has essentially shorted out, maybe it had a little corrosion and was a little weak. However it could be something more sinister, i would'nt switch it back on untill the problem is sorted out.

Also a word of caution however simple this fault might turn out to be it is highly unlikely the solution will be found without someone qualified looking at it.

regards
chris

moatarm73

Standard Member
I agree, it's very odd that it only appears to be a connection that has burnt out, but everything else looks absolutely fine, including all the fuses and every other connection. Thanks for the reply either way, much appreciated.

RustySpoons

I would say something else has gone short circuit and that jumper is the weakest point hence it burning out by there, are you handy with a multimeter? it's not too difficult to check those large motorola power transistors with a mulitmeter, I would hazzard a guess it's one of those that have short circuited.

Just out of curiosity, does that nad have a voltage selector on the back, some of that vintage amps used to have that, check it's not on the wrong voltage btw. they used to have 110/220/240 selections, the wrong one there would blow something.

moatarm73

Standard Member
All this is beyond me I think. I've taken it into a hifi repair shop and he's going to give me a quote tomorrow. If it's too much I'll leave it and rethink, but for now I think its best to let someone who knows what they're doing take a look.

Thanks for all the replies anyway, you've been really helpful.

reddish75

If the quote is too expensive, and your anywhere manchester, i fix electronics for a living bring it round and i'll have a look for you.

regards

chris

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom