Answered Help needed: Extending current twin cabling

Foster1984

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have just moved into a new rented house and want to place the sky box in a different room than where the cable currently comes into the house. Unfortunately, due to the fact its a rented property, it means I cant have sky move it, or run cables through walls or under floors...basically restricted to running the cable under the carpet from room to room.

With this in mind, I went to Maplin and bought 25m of twin cabling. However, when I got home the cable was far to thick to run under the carpet. It was about twice as wide as the cabling coming through the wall from the Sky dish.

So I was wondering, is there a particular type of cable (specific grade, etc) that means it is thinner? As looking on Amazon, etc. none of the cables seem to list their thickness.

Thanks in advance.

The cable that sky use is WF65. It's 4.8mm diameter (each of the pair and thus about 5x10mm) and can be obtained from Maplin and other sources such as Statcure, who make up prepared lengths with the correct connectors). To connect it to your existing cables, fit the correct F type connectors to the ends of your extension and use 'barrel connectors' to effect the join.
Be careful when getting the F types though as there are a couple of common sizes (and some less common ones.) The WF 65 ones generally have a band on the knurled screw on bit.

WF65 losses are such that an extra 25m will almost certainly give problems... check out Satcure's web pages.

I have moved into a house that has about 35m in WF65 equivalent, which is about the maxl limit recommended, and I need to replace it with WF100... and move the dish so I can safely access a gutter downpipe it is next to! (another topic).

Talk to your Landlord... it may be he/she will allow the room to be connected direct to the dish, as future tenants may also want similar?

Even with the 25m of extra cable, the total length would only be about 28m. As the cable comes into the house on the floor under the window, with the dish placed on the wall literally just above the window.

I will ask the landlord again, however this was only intended as a stop-gap solution. We had the sky box left over from our old property, but haven't actually kept a sky subscription and planned to use it only as Freesat. Though I have since found out that without a subscription we won't be able to record, which makes it pretty pointless.

I might have to look at another TV viewing and recording solution for that room. :rolleyes:

A Freesat recorder won't cost much.

I know, just very strapped for cash right now. So won't have any money to be able to buy one in a while. But I might look at that option.

In the meantime, SWMBO will have to make do with freeview.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom