1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed ... Editing a DVD Recording on the PC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jarwyn, Jun 4, 2004.

1. jarwyn

Standard Member

May 28, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I've just purchased a Philips DVD Recorder (DVDR70). I've made a recording off the TV onto a DVD+RW disk and I now want to take an extract of the recording and save it as an MPEG (or AVI) on my PC (I have a DVD RW in the PC).

Can anyone tell me whether it can be done, how and what software/hardware I need. I currently have Roxio Easy Media Creator on my PC but this doesnt seem to be able to do it.

Many thanks.
  2. smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Okay,I am going to describe what I do but it might not work for you!
    I use a program called DVD Shrink,put the disc into the comp and run the program,it analysis (spell check!) the disc and then shows everything that is on it.
    From that you can select a start and end point of a particlar section you want to keep and back it up to the hard disc.
    There are a few things to bear in mind,on the highest quality 1 hour setting on my Sony GX3 a typical music videos comes out at about 200+MB,with the 2 hour recording mode it is 100+MB and you cant see any drop in quality by comparison.
    Best bet to begin with is to get the DVD Shrink program,which is free,and have a play with it and see what is what.
    You could convert to MPEG at a later stage but I leave all my stuff in VOB format as it comes of the disc and that plays fine with Power DVD.