Help needed, Dubai trip with work

1jim

I'm hoping to use your collective wisdom and experience to get ready for a trip to dubai in a couple of weeks

I will be staying 6 or 7 nights in dubai, mostly attending a conference and attending meetings.

Will need to wear suits during the day and maybe for occasional evening meetings.

I will need to take clothing for any downtime evenings etc

Never been to dubai so don't really know what to expect, but I hate heat! It seems January is the coolest month but still!

Will be flying economy with Emirates

So questions.....
What shirts would you suggest for hot climates
What suits would you suggest for hit climates..... to be honest I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm more of a shirt and trousers guy for work ordinarily

How would you pack suits for travel so they don't look awful when I wear them?

I need a new suitcase, any suggestions?

I will need to take my laptop with me, am I right in thinking this is best as carry on?

Airport security, flying out from Birmingham, havnt flown in 15 years so what's the score these days? Is it still belts and shoes off?

Am sure I have a million other questions so feel free to offer advice on anything you think I might need to know
Thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
All Cotton shirts will be better in hot climates.
No idea about suits.
Always take a laptop as carry-on.
I always use "IT, the world's lightest" suitcases...Argos has a good selection.
Security varies from Airport to Airport and depending on how busy it is, belts usually off, sometimes shoes off, sometimes not.

I genuinely wouldn't worry too much about the heat unless you plan on going for long walks in the day time around the streets etc.

Pretty much everywhere is air conditioned in Dubai including the bus stops! All taxi's/hotels etc have good air con.

I've never took a suit on holiday but absolute worst case scenario you could get the hotel to press the suit for you.

Emirates are superb to fly with - personally my fave airline and even economy is superb!

I think they've stepped up security again, I flew from Brum in April and don't think we had to take shoes off but flew from Gatwick in December and didn't have to take shoes off but got swapped for explosives etc but we was flying to Moscow!

Have a great trip, absolutely love Dubai!

1jim

Aircon at bus stops, really? Fantastic, that's good news. I'm glad to hear that, not planning on long walks but hope I get some free time to explore a bit. Any good buys over there?

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Flew from Birmingham in June - did have to take belt off but shoes only if asked.

If you can get away with Chinos some of the time, they are quite comfortable to wear, even in June weather.

Only taken a suit abroad once and I used the suit bag it came in from M&S. Folds in half too for smaller size and then I put that in my suitcase. Not sure on the rules of carry on for that but might get away with one.

Where about in Dubai are you staying?

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I was in Dubai in early Dec.

Weather was lovely.

I had jeans and a t shirt on most of the time and it was ok.

Humidity is not so bad over there i believe as the heat is fairly dry.

Ditto re the air con.

Lovely and warm outside, freezing inside:D

Ditto on Emirates too. Superb airline. Only flew with the a few times but my fave airline.

Not sure about suits but i roll most of my stuff when packing. Don't fold any more. Less creases when rolling:thumbsup:

Have fun. Great place. I'll be going again for sure.

1jim

Only taken a suit abroad once and I used the suit bag it came in from M&S. Folds in half too for smaller size and then I put that in my suitcase. Not sure on the rules of carry on for that but might get away with one.

Where about in Dubai are you staying?

Staying in the JWMARRIOTT, I think it's in the business district wherever that is, JW Marriott Hotel Dubai looks pretty good to me?

Think will do that with the suit, thinking I might need to take a couple of suits so might not stand any chance of taking them as carry on but notice that baggage allowance is 30kg so might as well page in the hold

I was in Dubai in early Dec.

Weather was lovely.

I had jeans and a t shirt on most of the time and it was ok.

Humidity is not so bad over there i believe as the heat is fairly dry.

Ditto re the air con.

Lovely and warm outside, freezing inside:D

Ditto on Emirates too. Superb airline. Only flew with the a few times but my fave airline.

Not sure about suits but i roll most of my stuff when packing. Don't fold any more. Less creases when rolling:thumbsup:

Have fun. Great place. I'll be going again for sure.

Love the idea of being freezing, hate wearing suits at the best of times, was dreading wearing them in the desert

Will take jeans and a few casual clothes for any spare time. what are the evenings like, daft question but will I need a hoody type jacket?
Have heard about rolling but worried that it will make the suits look scruffy,

Thanks fire the help so far guys, really do appreciate it

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Couple of evenings it was a bit cool but i still managed (just) with a t shirt.

Horses for courses really. If your a southern softy like me (live in the Midlands but born in Southampton) then you may want a light jacket.

If your anything like some of my northern mates who always scoff when i put a fleece top on when it's only 15 degrees, you should be ok:D

Because it wasn't mental hot in the day (mid-high 20's), it wasn't such a shock at night as it was still around 20 so not a monster difference.

Apparantly it's mid teens in the evenings over there now so if i were going back now, i'd take a light jacket/fleece top just in case.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Friend of mine lives in Dubai (works for Emirates) and says you rarely have to go outside. Everything in air conditioned, you go down into the air conditioned basement to get into your air conditioned car, drive to the shops/offices/restaurant wherever and park in their air conditioned basement and go upstairs to the air conditioned building.

1jim

Friend of mine lives in Dubai (works for Emirates) and says you rarely have to go outside. Everything in air conditioned, you go down into the air conditioned basement to get into your air conditioned car, drive to the shops/offices/restaurant wherever and park in their air conditioned basement and go upstairs to the air conditioned building.

Sounds great

1jim

Silly question, do emirates provide headphones for the entertainment system? Are they ok enough to use on the flight? If I take my own will I need an adaptor?

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Silly question, do emirates provide headphones for the entertainment system? Are they ok enough to use on the flight? If I take my own will I need an adaptor?

They are OK, nothing great. Personally I would take my own adapter.

What I did like is that they had a power socket so I could charge my phone!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom