HELP NEEDED- DENON DVD-3800BD 799 Euros. Is this OK?

wayden

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

It seems my dealer needs to get some sales moving and he is made me the following offers.

Denon DVD-3800BD- 799 Euros (Black) :eek:
Denon DBP-4010 - 1450 Euros (Silver) normal price 2000 Euros.:eek:

I already have a blu-ray player, the Sony 360 which I bought for 149 Euros with 4 blu-ray movies for free. I have sold my AV Receiver (yesterday), I wasnot planning but I got a good offer. So the player will be matched with a denon (4308or 4310 or 4810):rolleyes: have not yet decided.

So what you think ? Will the 3800 be an upgrade (apart from being slow like a snail)? I have still alot of DVDs so the DVD playback is important to me. Music is also important. Can these players be made Region free for DVD Playback?
On a side note, I can also get a 2500BT for 499 Euros.

Thanks,
Wayden

Hi Guys,

It seems my dealer needs to get some sales moving and he is made me the following offers.

Denon DVD-3800BD- 799 Euros (Black) :eek:
Denon DBP-4010 - 1450 Euros (Silver) normal price 2000 Euros.:eek:

I already have a blu-ray player, the Sony 360 which I bought for 149 Euros with 4 blu-ray movies for free. I have sold my AV Receiver (yesterday), I wasnot planning but I got a good offer. So the player will be matched with a denon (4308or 4310 or 4810):rolleyes: have not yet decided.

So what you think ? Will the 3800 be an upgrade (apart from being slow like a snail)? I have still alot of DVDs so the DVD playback is important to me. Music is also important. Can these players be made Region free for DVD Playback?
On a side note, I can also get a 2500BT for 499 Euros.

Thanks,
Wayden

The 3800 will be a better on Music & DVD,than your sony 360,as you say it will be a bit slower,and you will lose BD live profile 2,as for blu ray playback,i dont think you will see much diff at 24fps 1080p :)
The denon can be made region free,for blu rays & dvd,an hardware mod.

will the receiver do the audio decoding?

will the receiver do the audio decoding?

Yes, the Denon Receiver will be doing the audio decoding. Right now it seems it will be the Denon AVR-4310. I am getting a price of 1370 Euros which I think is OK.

then there is little point being tempted by 4010 or 3800, these excellent on their analogue stages.

then there is little point being tempted by 4010 or 3800, these excellent on their analogue stages.

Thanks Nic,
I will then save my coins. I heard that the scaler in the 4310 (the abt2010) is pretty good, so hopefully should give me a good PQ with DVD playback.

Wayden

To be honest, and I'm sure Nic will say much the same, I'm not sure you'll get the most out of the ABT chip in the Denon receiver.

For DDV playback you really need the player not to de-interlace and scale so that the ABT chip can do it. Unless Denon have allowed you access to the ABT's PReP feature which can undo poor de-interlacing and redo it, a feature that is very useful for a well known HD satellite box... I think Yamaha amps with the ABT let you do this I'm not sure about the Denon's.

Plus you'd need a player that did source direct which the Sony does not. However, whilst the 4010UD does have source direct it's a lot to pay for that, and the newer Oppo BDP-80 or Pioneer BDP-320 are the cheapest source direct players. The Oppo being the faster. The new Denon 1610 may also suit here being their cheapest player and having source direct too. Should be about the same price as the Oppo/Pioneer. If matching kit from a looks perspective matters the 1610 has an obvious advantage, else the quickest machine will probably be the Oppo, which can also be easily modded for multi-region DVD and Blu-ray.

The thing is you did say music playback,as well :confused: in which case the analoge be output should high on your list,

I have the Oppo 83 great player,but cd no :( to bland for me.

I Still used my Naim cd player for music.

Last edited:
What about the 2500bt as a transport? Can it be made region free for DVD playback? Should the PQ and SQ be excellent? I assume for CD Playback it should be using the DACs in the AV Receiver.

I found the PQ on DVD could be much better elsewhere

thanks for the feedback.
what Denon Blu-ray player provides the best PQ with DVD playback?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom