Help Needed Deleting Airport Network Accounts

Suave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a June 2010 17" 2.8 i7 UMBP running Snow Leopard. I also have a Time Capsule (that I use for wireless back-ups). The TC is connected to a Thomson Speedtouch ST585 as I am with AOL & need to use the modem part I believe as the TC does not include that.

I use my UMBP wirelessly but am having trouble deleting some old "Airport Network" accounts that I do not want anymore as I have set one up for 5Hhz which is the main one I use & do not want any more to keep things simple.

I have been on Preferences > Network > Advanced. I then select the Networks I do not want any more & press the "-" button after which I press OK.

The problem is, when back on the main Network Pane, the accounts I just deleted still appear in the "Network Name" drop down list & also in the list that pops out under the Airport symbol in the menubar.

I would be very grateful if anyone can help me on this matter as I am at a loss! I would also welcome some advice as to whether I have set the security level/options good enough on my mac as I seem to be getting lots of other weird networks showing up as well.

Many Thanks!

Suave!

Once the entries are deleted, try turning off the WiFi and back on.

FYI, the list of network SSIDs shown under the Airport icon (in the menu bar) are those *detected* by the hardware, not necessarily connected.

EDIT: you will also have to delete the corresponding entries in KeyChainAccess so that one is forced to re-enter the passwords needed for the WLANs.

Last edited:
Once the entries are deleted, try turning off the WiFi and back on.

FYI, the list of network SSIDs shown under the Airport icon (in the menu bar) are those *detected* by the hardware, not necessarily connected.

EDIT: you will also have to delete the corresponding entries in KeyChainAccess so that one is forced to re-enter the passwords needed for the WLANs.

Hi,

Many Thanks - OK will try that & get back to you!

May I ask, I noticed that my AOL Thomson Speedtouch ST585 has a Wireless "Network Name (SSID) & is on a WPA-PSK Security.

I aslo set up a couple of Network accounts when I first got the TC & was trying to figure things out properly. One of them is a 5Ghz Network which is the one I would like to keep.

Will deleting the AOL/Thomson Speedtouch Wireless Network cause me to lose my internet or any other issues? Thought I best ask incase I crash everything!

Suave!

No, the only thing that matters is the ethernet cable between the speedtouch and the TC, plus its IP/network settings. The wireless info on your Mac re the speedtouch's WLAN can be deleted anytime - as with any wireless network you use on any other WLAN.

No, the only thing that matters is the ethernet cable between the speedtouch and the TC, plus its IP/network settings. The wireless info on your Mac re the speedtouch's WLAN can be deleted anytime - as with any wireless network you use on any other WLAN.

Hi,

OK! Did as you told me - the Network Accounts in the drop down menu of the advanced tab of the network pane now only show the ones I want after hitting apply & turning airport on & off.

However, on the main Network Pane menu still shows the accounts I just deleted. I also went to Keychain access & deleted them from there - please be advised, there were duplicates of the same account so I deleted all of them.

Even now, there are two listings of the 5GHz Network that I want to keep & they have different info as regards date & "where in the Keychain app page. The deleted accounts also still show up under the airport symbol in the menu bar even though they have been deleted in the "advanced tab"

Any ideas?

Suave!

Isn't that just the same list shown via the Airport icon on the menu bar? Can be ignored...

Isn't that just the same list shown via the Airport icon on the menu bar? Can be ignored...

Hi,

But If I deleted the network accounts from the advanced tab of the network pane & from the Keychain access how comes they still appear on the main Network Pane & under the Airport Menubar symbol?

Surely, if they have been deleted then they should not show up at all or am I missing something?

Suave!

That is just to show what is available/detected, not necessarily a list of networks which the Mac will remember. You can confirm this by simply taking your MBP far out into the garden - if the cold is tolerable - and confirming that it detect other networks or none at all.

That is just to show what is available/detected, not necessarily a list of networks which the Mac will remember. You can confirm this by simply taking your MBP far out into the garden - if the cold is tolerable - and confirming that it detect other networks or none at all.

Hi,

OK, I understand that the airport symbol shows what networks are available/detected whoever they belong to etc. My problem is why are networks that belonged to me & which have been "deleted" still show up in both the network pane & in under the airport symbol?

Surely, if they have been deleted, then there is nothing available to detect? I just checked & it now seems that once gain, accounts deleted in the advanced tab of the network pane still keep returning?

Suave!

I think you are missing the point. You are trying to delete the fact that these networks exist out there and are advertising their availability rather than set up for your machine to connect already.

If you were able to delete them and they never appeared again, then you would never see them and would never be able to connect even if you changed your mind some day.

Just live with the fact that everything is working exactly as it should!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom