Help needed correcting my Yamaha sub from my stereo amp

Saikat Bhattacharjee

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a stereo amp which has 2 channel RC pre out port. Now i want this to be connected to my Yamaha sub which only accepts 1 RC input (in fact planning to share the sub between my Yamaha home Theater and my stereo audio system).
Question is, how can i covert 2 RC out to 1 RC in in this case?
Appreciate any help in this regard.

You can use the pre-out RCA on a stereo amp providing it has variable output (works with the volume control) and if the Yamaha sub has the variable cut-off freq control (which most do)
You really only need to use 1 ch (usually the left ch) to get adequate sub performance and output, if not then you can also buy a Male to Male Y connector if you want to use both RCA pre-outs on the amp.
TBH you would be better off using the 2 ch amp for the main L+R channels coming from the surround receiver and connecting the sub to that only, and using the pre-outs from the surround receiver into stereo amp. Both amps need to be on for watching movies and the L+R main speakers connected to the stereo amp, you adjust the volume on the stereo amp until the sound is balanced for all surround sound speakers.
If your surround sound receiver does not have pre-outs then you should decide what you really want to use the sub for (the stereo amp or surround amp) it is not really recommended to run two seperate outputs into one sub, when I did that it killed the sub output of my surround sound amp.

You can use the pre-out RCA on a stereo amp providing it has variable output (works with the volume control) and if the Yamaha sub has the variable cut-off freq control (which most do)
You really only need to use 1 ch (usually the left ch) to get adequate sub performance and output, if not then you can also buy a Male to Male Y connector if you want to use both RCA pre-outs on the amp.
TBH you would be better off using the 2 ch amp for the main L+R channels coming from the surround receiver and connecting the sub to that only, and using the pre-outs from the surround receiver into stereo amp. Both amps need to be on for watching movies and the L+R main speakers connected to the stereo amp, you adjust the volume on the stereo amp until the sound is balanced for all surround sound speakers.
If your surround sound receiver does not have pre-outs then you should decide what you really want to use the sub for (the stereo amp or surround amp) it is not really recommended to run two seperate outputs into one sub, when I did that it killed the sub output of my surround sound amp.
Thank you for your detail answer with all the available options. Actually i am in favor of keeping both the receivers seperate (AV and Stereo) and only looking for an avenue to share the subwoofer between these two systems. For sure expectation is, at any point of time the sub will be receiving signal fron either stereo or AV and not from both.
As per your suggestion i am getting a 2 male to 1 female Y connector. With that i can connect my sub using single RC male connector, which if required can be connected to AV while watching movie / any other AV material.
Hope the plan will work. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom