Question Help needed connecting Samsung HW-F751 to TV & other devices

Steve139

Novice Member
Reaction score
RE: Help needed connecting Samsung HW-F751 to TV & other devices.

Hello,

I bought a Samsung HW-F751 sound bar recently (off eBay) and need some help with it's set up.

I have a Toshiba TV, which is about 7 years old and is not one of those smart TVs. It has 4 HDMI ports at the back, three of which are used to connect to a Sky box, a media player and Roku box (for Netflix).

The TV HDMI ports are labelled as HDMI 1/2/3/4 so don't know if any have ARC and it doesn't say anything in the user manual.

The TV also has a Optical Digital Audio Output port.

The Soundbar has the following three ports... Optical IN, HDMI IN and HDMI OUT.

So, what I need help with is... how do I connect everything up so the sound from all three devices (Sky box, media player, and Roku box) comes through the Sound Bar when the Soundbar only has one HDMI IN port?... (ie don't want to have to keep swapping HDMI cables)

If you could please explain all the connections required (ie optical, HDMI IN/OUt), what connects to what, and also what to set the Input Mode (Source button on the remote) to? (ie D.IN, AUX, HDMI etc)

Your help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Keep all equipment connected to the Tv and connect the TV's optical out to the soundbar optical in.

Thanks... I've done that and it's all working fine, sort of... thinking I might need an optical audio cable I bought one off ebay for £4.99 last week. Plugged everything in like you suggested, and the audio is fine but I've noticed that if someone is talking in a movie or tv program their voice level drops occasionally, and I don't understand why... could it be due to the audio cable I bought?... should I have bought a more expensive one?

...looking at various forums some say there's not need to buy a really expensive optical audio cable, and the one I bought off eBay the seller had sold 3991 of the same cable so I assumed it would be ok to buy it.

With an optical connection it's all or nothing i.e. As long as the cable is securely plugged in at both ends you either have sound or no sound.
It can't cause the level to drop so you need to look elsewhere for the cause of that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom