Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help needed connecting my PC to an LCD panel

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Funkstain, May 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Funkstain

Funkstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but hopefully you can help me out!

I've just bought an LCD TV/monitor (video7's budget 26"), to which I want to connect my laptop.

The laptop is connected to a docking station (port replicator) which has both VGA and DVI outputs.

I first tried to connect using a DVI lead, but the LCD tells me there is no signal. I have all the latest drivers for the graphics controller (an integrated Intel chipset), but cannot find a way to enable the DVI out.

So while I waited to figure that out, I connected an SVGA lead. However, for some obscure reason which I cannot work out, the LCD displays in SVGA only - 800x600. This despite the fact that the TV can deal with up to 1280x768 and the graphics card up to 1900xsomething. I cannot change the mode with all the advanced graphics settings available to me! The PC just tells me that the TV can only cope with up to 800x600, and doesn't allow me to set the output to a higher resolution.

Does anyone know why this is? Sorry for asking such a basic question, and I realise I may not have provided enough information - if you need more I can provide!

Thanks for any help you can give

Funk

2. dancin

dancin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on your VGA connecction problems, but regarding DVI...

Your DVI out connector from the graphics card should be not need to be switched on (in the same way that you don't have to switch on your VGA connection). If you connect via CVI to your monitor/TV it should simply work.

However as you're working from a laptop, there may be a BIOS setting for turning DVI On/Off for power saving purposes.

If not, then perhaps your DVI cable is faulty, or the connection on your laptop is faulty (can you test on another DVI capable monitor), or the connection on your Monitor is faulty...

Possibly your docking station is interrupting things too. Can you take thisout of the loop?