1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed connecting my PC to an LCD panel

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Funkstain, May 1, 2005.

1. Funkstain

Funkstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, hopefully you can help me out!

I've just bought an LCD TV/monitor, to which I want to connect my laptop.

The laptop is connected to a docking station (port replicator) and has both VGA and DVI outputs.

I first tried to connect using a DVI lead, but the LCD tells me there is no signal. I have all the latest drivers for the graphics controller (an integrated Intel chipset), but cannot find a way to enable the DVI out.

So while I waited to figure that out, I connected an SVGA lead. However, for some obscure reason which I cannot work out, the LCD displays in SVGA only - 800x600. This despite the fact that the TV can deal with up to 1280x768 and the graphics card up to 1900xsomething. I cannot change the mode with all the advanced graphics settings available to me! The PC just tells me that the TV can only cope with up to 800x600.

Does anyone know why this is? Sorry for asking such a basic question, and I realise I may not have provided enough information - if you need more I can provide!

Thanks for any help you can give

Funk

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Funkstain

Does the Laptop have its own DVI Out?

It sounds like you have an LCD TV and its been nobbled as far as PC use goes.

What does it say in the TV's user manual; they usually have a list of accepted signals for the HD15 (VGA) and DVI Inputs.

Best regards

Joe

3. Funkstain

Funkstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

the laptop does not have its own DVI out. The TV's manual specifically refers to PC connectivity, using either DVI or VGA connections - and that I should set my resolution to 1024x768 or 1280x768 (WXGA) for best results.

The laptop does have a VGA out, and I tried connecting that to the LCD panel as well - with exactly the same result (max selectable resolution is SVGA).

When I go into my laptop's graphics settings menu, it has successfully detected my LCD, and the adaptor has somehow reached the conclusion that the panel's max res is SVGA. It's very confusing! There's nothing in the manual about this being a potential problem. It seems to have something to do with the graphics adaptor / drivers / controller, but I can find nothing in either HP's nor Intel's (they are the makers of the Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express chipset family) websites about this issue.

It couldn't be a cable limitation could it? Surely no SVGA cable is somehow limited to only displaying SVGA?

Thanks for your help!

4. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'd be v surprised if your SVGA cable is causing the problem. Two possibilities spring to mind:
    1 - are you running the latest drivers for your port replicator and checked that (if it has software set-up) the DVI is enabled on the replicator (apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but port replicators can be a right pain to set-up sometimes...)
    2- Have you tried turning off the screen built into your laptop. With my laptop, when the built-in screen is turned on the resolution/refresh rate is limited to what that screen is capable of; if I want to get a higher resolution on my external monitor I have to turn off the laptop's own screen.

btw, probably a long-shot but if you've got a spare DVI cable it ain't gonna hurt to try that - confirm it's not just a duff cable.

Jon