Question Help needed connecting my new Yamaha receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tasman, Dec 28, 2017.

1. tasman

tasman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have just purchased a Yamaha RXV583 to replace my 6 year old receiver and I am having trouble with my connections and sound output. I have connected my Samsung tv to the hdmi output of the amp and attached my Xbox one x to input 1. And that all works perfect. Full 4K and Atmos. Though I only have a 5.1 system so don’t get the benefit of Atmos. This is using hdmi 1 on my Samsung tv which is the only input that outputs hdr. Very happy that this all worked as it should. I didn’t think it would as I am not using a high speed hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv and I thought I would need to.

Anyway the problem I have is when attaching my sky box and Apple TV to the other inputs on the amp. I am only getting 2.1 audio from those. Any idea what I am doing wrong? My tv has arc but only on one input which is not the hdr one. For normal tv (from the Samsung) I have got 5.1 by connecting an optical cable. Am I going to have to connect the sky box and Apple TV to the Samsung direct to get 5.1? What are the other hdmi inputs on the amp for then? Basically how do I get the receiver to output 5.1 when using the sky box or Apple TV

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    No, you do not need to go via the TV in order to be able to access discrete multichannel audio. IN fact this would reduce your options when it comes to the types of audio you can actually access.

The issue you have is more than likely due to either the audio output settings of your Apple TV and SKY box not being set to an option that allows for multichannel audio or the content you are accessing via those devices not being encoded with multichannel audio? Not all content is encoded with surround sound and even if some of it is, you'd still need to configure the device to output it as such when available. If dealing with content that is only encoded with 2 channel audio, you can create pseudo 5.1 using either the Dolby Surround or Neural:X SURROUND DECODER modes on the receiver.

In order to output 5.1 audio when available, go into the SKY STB's audio settings and set its HDMI output to Dolby Digital. THe following should help you when it comes to configuring the Apple TV's audio output:

Surround sound settings on your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation)

3. tasman

tasman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for the info. I have now remembered that my Sky STB is an older model Amstrad and as such doesn’t have the ability to output 5.1 audio via HDMI. It will only do it via optical. I have since discovered the setting on the receiver where I can create the fake 5.1 so I have the centre speaker working. However I think I will just connect an optical cable instead. Means I lose the one coming from my tv but I use the stb to watch tv anyway. Will have a look at the link for the Apple TV

4. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Does your Sky box have a digital coax cable output?
    It's usually marked with an orange ring around the outside.
    This will give the same result as an optical cable, meaning you could keep the optical cable connected to the TV for an over the air programming / smart TV / USB video audio.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,176