Quantcast

Help needed confirming receiver and speakers compatibility on 5.1 sound system

mhweb

Standard Member
I'm about to get my 5.1 sound system, and I just wanted to check if what I'm choosing is compatible. As far as I know, it's, but I'm a sound newbie.

Yamaha RX-V685
SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer x1
Polk Audio Signature Series S35 Center Channel Speakers x1
Polk Signature Series S15 Bookshelf Speakers x2 (front)
Polk Signature Series S10 Bookshelf Speakers x2 (back)

gibbsy

Nothing wrong with any of that. Calibrate and sit back and enjoy.

Yes that system sounds fine, but If it was me I would have got a Denon or marantz.

mhweb

Standard Member
@Trophy hunter Which Demon would you recommend? About marantz, I'm a newbie on sound, I really don't know this company. I decided to with Yamaha because of the Wirecutter review, and because it has HDCP 2.3 and HDMI eARC. My budget is around $500 (US), and I'm even still waiting for the Yamaha to go down in price a little more.
Thanks,

gibbsy

Marantz is part of the D&M Group along side Denon. They share almost all the same components in their units but Marantz use HDAM circuitry for a more musical experience and Marantz will often get recommend to those people who wish to use a receiver for music. They are owned by Sound United the USA firm that also own Polk.

Dolus

@Trophy hunter Which Demon would you recommend? About marantz, I'm a newbie on sound, I really don't know this company. I decided to with Yamaha because of the Wirecutter review, and because it has HDCP 2.3 and HDMI eARC. My budget is around $500 (US), and I'm even still waiting for the Yamaha to go down in price a little more.
Thanks,
@mhweb
I would not get distracted by people recommending a different receiver, after you have made your choice and having it confirmed in the first 3 replies.

Do take note of what Ed Mullen says in post #3. He is Director of Technology and Customer Relations, SVS

Ed Mullen Respected subwoofer reviewer now works for SVS