1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed: Component to DVI

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by yian_s, Feb 9, 2005.

1. yian_s

yian_s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I am on the look for an LCD TV and am a little confused with the diverse connections available.

I currently own a PHILIPS 963SA DVD, which has component (YPbPr) connections and is capable to output 576 progressive scan signals to the viewing device. I do not plan to change this DVD player, at least in the near future.

My main question is: is there any sort of adapter or similar device that would take the 576p signal over my DVD via component and connect it to a DVI input on the TV without loss in PQ ? Any special consideration as to what type of DVI the TV accepts? (presume that it should be DVI-I, but not so sure). Unfortunately, few of the TVs I have in mind offer both DVI AND Component (which is quite strange, I must say).

On a second topic: I may want to connect my laptop on the very same TV. What type of input(s) should the TV have to make this possible?

Thanks in advance for a tip.

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Which TVs are you looking at ? My Sharp has both Component and DVI-I.

3. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Some TVs and Projectors will accept component over the DVI connector.
    If that is the case then usually all you is a component to VGA lead and a VGA to DVI adaptor (I'm not sure whether you can get a Component to DVI lead).

However this will only work if the TV supports it. You can usually tell this by looking in the menu. You should be able to set the input type for the DVI connector. On my projector and TV I can set it to Digital, Analogue RGB, or YPbPr.

Hope this helps

4. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the output from your laptop VGA or DVI ?

5. yian_s

yian_s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your posts. I was considering among others a new 26" Philips (9956), which offers DVI. Does not make quite clear though if it's a DVI-i or DVI-D -- there's some contrasting info I found. Also a similar 26" Samsung model which has DVI-i (no component). Actually, I have not really made up my mind as to whether a 26" or a 32" is the suitable size for my sitting room (there are some size constraints and the max viewing distance is 3,5 m). I wish I could take one just to see how it looks; or that the manufacturers offered a broader range of diagonals. Seems that the 28" or 30" are almost extinct - especially in upcoming models.

My laptop output is apparently a VGA (a 15-hole outpup, guess it's D-sub 15)

6. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sharp GA3 and 4 series seem highly rated in these parts, and offer both DVI-I and component in.

Your laptop could connect via a vanilla VGA to DVI-I cable, and your DVD to the component inputs of course.

See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181552

Plus it's HDCP compatible and so Sky HD proof.

7. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
  8. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agree with Grimboid, the Sharp 26" GA3/4 are very popular. The 32" version is almost non existant due to popular demand. I have a 32GA3E in my lounge and we sit 3m away from the screen (The room is 10'x12' into a bay).

Richie.