Help needed choosing amplifier for Kef Q5's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by technomatt, Jan 3, 2007.

1. technomatt

technomatt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I am new to this forum and would appreciate some help in selecting an amplifier for powering my Kef Q5 floorstanders. There seems to be alot of knowledgable people here who can hopefully help me make the right decision!. I have been powering them by a Pioneer home cinema amplifier but I only want 2 speakers now and so would like to ditch that and buy a nice quality 2 channel amp. I listen to all sorts of music but mainly pop and occasionally have a blowout with some dance music, particularly like to crank up the Prodigy!. I do change my speakers every 3 or 4 years so don't mind buying an amp which is of a higher standard than my speakers as I then have the option to install better speakers in the future if I choose. My main source will be a Slim Devices Squeezebox 3 playing lossless wma. I have been looking at the Roksan Kandy L.iii as What Hifi seem to rate it highly with all types of music, but I haven't physically listened to this amplifier, decisions decisions!. Hopefully you guys can help, thanks in advance.

Matt

2. gray3393

gray3393

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hiya Mat,

You Should be looking towards audiolab pre & power or the mono blocs.

British at there best imo.

Gray

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    do you only want a stereo setup then, no video inputs etc? if so post again and i'll move this thread to the HiFi Separates section where you will get a better response :)

as for my own contribution, check out Arcam, Musical Fidelity and Primare, they all make very good stereo amps, Arcam at various price points around the same area as the Roksan, MF and Primare i think are a little more, but such good quality and sound :)

4. technomatt

technomatt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My appologies Knyght_byte, yes I am just looking at getting a stereo amplifier and so have posted in the wrong section :oops: Please could you move it for me :thumbsup:

Matt