1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed choosing a new Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by clayton, Sep 7, 2005.

1. clayton

clayton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi my old sony crt tv has finally died & i could do with some help, i know nothing about plasma or lcd tvs, i have a max of £1500 to spend it will be connected to a freeview pvr & never used with sky tv.
    I have a Denon avr 2802 surround amp for the sound, would the fact the plasma faces a window cause any problems ?
    What im after is a good picture & plenty of scart sockets, the plasma will sit on my tv unit.

ps looking @ 42"

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    So you will need one with a pedestal stand.
    Is the window bright, do you have curtains for it?

3. clayton

clayton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for your reply mal.
    I wouldnt say the windows bright as the garden is south facing & the plasma would be @ the front of the house & yes i would need a stand, also i will be sitting about 11ft from the plasma is this too close for a 42" ?

4. apollosys

apollosys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Clayton,

11ft is fine for a 42".
    I will assume you will be closing blinds or curtains to watch, Plasma tends to hold colours better in brighter conditions than LCD's.
    Make sure you keep the plasma as far away as you can from Heat Sources, Fires, Stoves, Etc, they don't like heat.
    For 1500 there is loads of different options, and remember you'll be watchin this yourself not anyone else in this forum. :lesson:
    Some members of this forum would have you believe the only product worth anything is a pany not the case.

5. clayton

clayton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    To be honest the pany plasmas do look alittle better than the Samsung / LG models ive been looking at but @ almost a £1000 more i think it would be silly to buy one, all i need is one that will work well with freeview & dvds.

6. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    As you will be using a freeview pvr for picture and your denon amp for sound there is no need to buy a plasma "tv", all you need is a plasma "screen".
    You can get a panasonic screen for £999 (42pwd7 from richer sounds). This deal doesnt include any scart sockets though. You can add these though and they cost around £120 each. Say £999 for the screen, £99 for the 3 year warranty, £240 for two scart sockets and £50 for a table stand. Total = £1388.
    There are of course other options available but this is the one I know about.