1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed choosing a 50" Pioneer Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Chewbacca, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello I need some help :lease: in choosing a 5o" pioneer plasma display I am quite a novice in the plasma department.

I have got a price on the Pioneer PDP 504 HDE £3999.99 at shopbyprice.co.uk what are your feelings regarding this display also what is the difference between the PDP 504 HDE and the 505 XDE

Your help would be very much appreciated

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Go see them in action mate!!!! Also need more info on what you willl be connecting and watching......

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Chewbacca

If you search this forum you will find a lot of information on the 504. Personally, I think the 504 HDE is a truly great plasma. If the price is really attractive I would go for that instead of the 505. The XDE version includes the digital terrestrial tuner in the media receiver. Regarding the performance I have spent many hours comparing the 43" models 434 and 435. Have not seen the 505's but if as expected the simlarities are there, the new model does not seem to offer any real or obvious improvements. In fact from what I have seen, other than the excellent HDMI / DVD input performance the new model seems to be a bit below on quality on all other inputs. Someone on another thread said that they do not mind if there is a little grain on the picture as long as it is a crisp image. I fully gree with that but the 435 I keep tested lacked definition and it is not just the extra little bit of grain/noise over the 434. Still, you can have a look at both and make your very own decision.

To answer further your question the new models claim to produce over seven billion colours against the one billion colours of the previous model. In addition the glass outer screen filter has been replaced with a lighter and thinner plastic film.

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    The only problem with the 50" 534, is that it's not supposed to be too forgiving with Sky digital pictures. Though this seems to be a weekness with Plasmas, (+ lcds).

5. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reply everyone I will be connecting a Denon dvd 2900 and a Pioneer vsa 10i-s amp also a sky + reciever I have heard that the Pioneer display is that good it makes the sky signal look poor is this right?

I am not too bothered about sound as I would use My amp when watching dvd's but I normally use the tv speakers for everyday viewing.

I have also read that You need to keep the brightness down for 200 hours to help stop screen burn is this fact or only a myth

6. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I would certainly keep the picture settings down for the first 200 hours - it may be a investment in time that reaps dividends later - and you have nothing really to lose by doing so.Not sure whether the Pio is that good that it makes the signal look poor,but it is fairly unforgiving where Sky is concerned.More than watchable though - depending on the channel viewed.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    sky looks pretty ropey on all 50"+ screens the pannys better contrast is an advantage for sky the Pio storms it with DVD and higher quality content.