Help Needed - Best 65" 4k HDR LED For £1,250?

DanM30

Hi All,

As the thread title reads basically. I currently have a 55" full HD OLED (LG55EC930V), but am now looking to make the jump to a 65" 4k HDR TV. I'd love another OLED, but it would be out of my price range and the wife would kill me lol!

I understand LED sets have come on quite a bit in recent years and in John Lewis today I was pretty impressed.

I've not had an LCD for about 10 years so need a bit of a steer from the experts that lurk on these forums. Thanks for your help.

Dan

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Give it another couple of years. Now is a poor time to buy a TV of that price as the hardware that's offering a big improvement over your current TV is still more expensive.

DanM30

Give it another couple of years. Now is a poor time to buy a TV of that price as the hardware that's offering a big improvement over your current TV is still more expensive.

Thanks, but isn't an extra 10 inches, 4k Res and HDR an improvement? I can get all this in that price bracket.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Thanks, but isn't an extra 10 inches, 4k Res and HDR an improvement? I can get all this in that price bracket.

The extra size is.

The resolution itself isn't of much benefit at these sort of sizes. Most of the benefit comes from HDCP 2.2 and HEVC/VP9 supporting allowing access to higher bitrate services. But if you're not subscribing to them then 4K scalers are generally reckoned to be worse than Full HD ones, so it's actually a slight downgrade for normal TV watching.

HDR will be, but HDR only works on content designed for it. It does nothing on every other piece. There isn't a single piece of HDR content on iPlayer, Sky, ITV, Channel 4 etc.

Additionally HDR isn't a display technology but an ambitious new set of picture standards. In practical terms this means that the amount of dynamic range a TV can reproduce varies enormously, and the TVs within budget right now only have minimal increase over a non-HDR TV.

So you're looking at a cheaper TV that only has minor benefits used by a small proportion of content, with the downsides that you spent the extra on your current EC930 to avoid in the first place.

Maybe the trade-off is worth it if you're mainly watching films on blu-ray UHD or similar but for normal viewing habits I'd be keeping your current TV, unless you feel the extra size is worth the trade-offs.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom