Help needed badly!

leckie

Established Member
Reaction score
I only really need optical connections to link my 360 and tv to the speakers.

I still stand by the Yamaha AV amp to give the best performance and flexibility in the future. Also if one part needs replacing for any reason you just change it, not throw away the whole system.

Are you so sure that you will only need to connect an XBOX in say a years time?

Other uses for the Yamaha is to connect.
PS3,2
SKY+ or HD
PC via direct input (5.1)
DVD, HD DVD, Blu-Ray.

Is there a step up from that Yamaha or am I looking at a significant price increase?

What do you mean a step up? Speakers, amp, power?

I like the idea of the auto setup, though I don't see the point of the HDMI without a DVD player. Can anyone explain.

A lot of people have TV's with only one or two HDMI inputs, by having HDMI switching available you can connect more to your TV.
DVD
PS3
XBOX 360 Elite
Blu-Ray
HD DVD
SKY HD
PC's
Freeview (latest ones seem to have HDMI)
PVR's

and possibly a few others that I have forgotten.

Ah ok well I have 3 HDMI ports on my TV so i'm fine there.

I'm still not totally convinced about the Yamaha, I quite like the idea of having everything in one.

I quite like the idea of having everything in one.

So what is everything in one, all you are going to get is a poor spec all-in-one with built in DVD and if you are really lucky it will have ONE optical input for something else to connect, which you do need for your XBOX.
All-in one = A box inc DVD, Sub, + 5 speakers.
Av unit = A box, DVD, Sub, + 5 speakers

Doing the maths that is just 1 item more if you get a DVD, But then again you said you did not require a DVD, so no extra items. As I stated before with a separates system at least you have the building blocks to build on without having to throw the whole system away.

Even if I did go for an amp I would prefer tallboy speakers so I didn't have the hassle of wallmounting, is there a solutions for these speakers?

I realise this reply is a bit late but I was in a similar position to you. I had the same budget and for me it was a coin toss between the Yamaha AV61 and the Sony HT-DDW890.

After reading the Sony thread I ordered the HT-DDW890 (should be delivered soon I hope).

I know what you are saying about not needing the hdmi inputs now etc. but surely if you are paying roughly the same price to have them, then why not get them to future proof? The amp and speakers still sound amazing, but you have the added option of hdmi later down the line.

I keep tipping towards the YAMAHA AV-3101, can I be sure that it will sound better than the Samsung HT-TX35R?

Does anyone here have the Yamaha and can give me a review? All the sites I seem to find are foreign.

Yamaha 3101 is the french Yamaha AV61. I have the UK AV61 and I was really happy when I heard it! :smashin: If you do not need HDMI connection then it has all the other connections you could possibly need(which is not the case with most dvd included all in ones). I have various things attached to mine and am very happy with sound from all of them. (see signature for details). I can even plug my MP3 player in to the front! Here is a link to the Yamaha website.

http://www.yamaha-uk.com/av_packages/?product_id=180#

Obviously if you want black the 3101 from pixmania is your only choice but look around this forum and alot of people say don't touch them. (pixmania that is)

I'm a bit of a Toshiba follower and would recomend the SD370E DVD to go with it!

Total £260 ish

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom