Question Help Needed: AV, Speakers and Cable

Andifer

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Apologies if this isn't in the perfect place for this post on the forum, I'm a little new and overwhelmed!

I've been looking at updating an old, Samsung home cinema system that has been used for years.

I've mainly been looking at Richer Sounds as there seems very little competition these days.
The system is only for a bedroom and it's set out over a footprint of about 2.7m x 2.2m. So it certainly doesn't need to be powerful etc.
I've narrowed down to and been offered the yamaha RX-A660 @ £499 or £429 for ex-display.
Then speakers I was considering Tannoy HTS101XP @ £349 or Canton Movie 75 @ £279.
I'm leaning towards the Canton as they are smaller and so is the sub; I'm really pushed for space in the room sadly. The sub being difficult to place.
Cable wise I was recommended the cambridge audio speaker cable @ £3.19 p/m.
https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/...cables/audio-innov-ultra-micro-200m-reel.html
I know nothing about this though and can't seem to find anything online concerning it.
Otherwise I was thinking of sourcing my own that seems to be well recommended online; the Van Damme HiFi UP LCOFC, or some 79 strand something, (I can't remember exactly).
But those could cost me about twice as much though.

This lot is really at the top limit of my budget, It would come in about £850-900.

Would extra money on cabling be wasted given the lower end speakers or indeed maybe that amp?

I currently use a HDMI matrix as I split the various input signals to two TVs. So I would exit that into the amp and then to the TV. Hence I don't need a lot of inputs on the amp, just better sound quality. That's why that Yamaha possibly seemed a better fit for me.
I only need the amp to play sound from one TV, the other can use it's built in speakers.

Am I making some horrendous mistake somewhere? Is something just awful and I should forget it now?
Thank you for reading and indeed any help, suggestions or other options would be wonderful!

Nothing wrong with anything in your list especially in a room of that size. There is room to save money and that's on the speaker wire. Don't believe the BS about wire. Try and blag some from RS by telling them you'll order the receiver and speakers if they'll throw in X amount of wire. That's worked for me in both RS and AudioT.

Thank you for replying.
It's so confusing trying to choose between all options with such subtle differences.
I appreciate it's a pretty low end set up I'm going for but sadly I'm so limited with space I just can't fit bookcase speakers in.
I just worry a) I'm going to go for a crap deal or b) it'll be no better than what I have.
I don't want to just end up falling for what some salesman tells me as he wants to shift stock. For all I know the cable could be as good as string dipped in silver paint.
So it's nice to have another opinion that I'm not making some hideous error.
Thanks again.

The AVR is too expensive for bedroom setup with cheap speakers. It is overpriced 2016 model, you can do much better. Also with the wires i can save you money. I sended you PM with some better options and best prices, check the "envelope" at right upper corner!

I would agree with the above that the cost of the AVR is somewhat out of balance with the speakers. As a general guide you can spend 2 to 3 times the rrp of the AVR on the speakers to get the best from it. Although this is just a guide I certainly would not be paying less for the speakers than the AVR.
On the cable front Van Damme Blue would be cheaper than the CA you have mentioned and just as good. But as gibbsy says you should be able to get it thrown in with the package.

Whilst you usually cannot go wrong with the Van Damme Blue 2.5mm cable, you would probably be hard pushed to tell the difference with this cable IMO - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01D5H8YNO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

I agree with the other comments about the AVR and speakers. If you are not bothered about Atmos, the Yamaha RX-V481 at £249 (RS) would be a great choice. That would then give you a bit more for the speakers.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom