Question Help needed adding a Projector to my current setup.

mpaul0055

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

Long-time since ive trod the path of AV Forums, mainly down to children putting an end to all my elaborate spending and toys! Well, that's all about to change!

Its been around 10 years since I owned a Projector and the itch has become unbearable, so im going to pull the trigger on a TW-7400 to bring some cinema magic into the house for the kids (and myself of course). Around 2 years ago i drastically reduced my AV setup and went to a Sonos playbar, getting shot of my Yamaha amp and full 5.1 setup. This is now obviously going to cause me issues when trying to add a projector into the setup.

We currently have the following
PS4 - can be used for streaming apps, but is rarely used
SKY Q - Used for general TV watching and movies.
TV - LG OLED is used for Netflix, Amazon etc.. (these can be used on the PS4 if needed)
SONOS Playbar - Optical from TV into the playbar

My main question is how will I integrate the projector into this setup and still keep the audio coming from the Playbar?

Im thinking that a couple of HDMI Splitters and an Optical Switch will be the best solution. Ive attached a simple diagram showing what im thinking.

Optical Switch-

HDMI Splitter

I remember in the past I've spent a small fortune on splitters, but for now, id prefer to invest in the PJ and upgrade these peripherals at a later date if required.

Any help or pointers on this would be great :)

Attachments

• PJ-1.jpg
    PJ-1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 43
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If you move the optical switch so that the audio from sky & ps4 go into it then direct into play bar would be the best solution of course you then lose the audio from the TV but pick it up using the other devices.
I'm not sure the HDMI switch is the best solution though as you will be disconnecting and connecting a lot which is not good for the HDMI leads.
That said if your trying to save a bit then this
and the HDMI switch you selected might work better
so PS4 & Sky into the Tensun Hdmi out into the esynic for split to PJ and TV optical from Tensun to play bar, theres no garuntees though as thats alot of switches.
personally as your spending the money on a good PJ get a amp.

I'm open to suggestions on the amp front, but id like to keep the Sonos in use as we do use it for music, and its half-buried into a stud wall! I'm trying to keep this as under the radar as possible. When the wife sees me with tools out she starts asking questions :D

With a 1 in 2 out HDMI switch I don't see why I would be unplugging the HDMIs at all. All I would have to do it press the button on the switch to change from the TV to Projector.

If you move the optical switch so that the audio from sky & ps4 go into it then direct into play bar would be the best solution of course you then lose the audio from the TV but pick it up using the other devices.
I'm not sure the HDMI switch is the best solution though as you will be disconnecting and connecting a lot which is not good for the HDMI leads.
That said if your trying to save a bit then this
and the HDMI switch you selected might work better
so PS4 & Sky into the Tensun Hdmi out into the esynic for split to PJ and TV optical from Tensun to play bar, theres no garuntees though as thats alot of switches.
personally as your spending the money on a good PJ get a amp.

Im going to take the plunge and get a Yamaha RXV685 to switch between the TV and Projector. It means i can sell my Playbar and get a few nice satellites installed around the room, and bring my Play:5 into the lounge for Sonos Duties.

As i guessed, a far more expensive project than expected!

Ill post up pics once im done.

With a 1 in 2 out HDMI switch I don't see why I would be unplugging the HDMIs at all. All I would have to do it press the button on the switch to change from the TV to Projector.
My fault I misread your setup.
However unless you don't intend to use 4k hdr on one of the PJ inputs then you should be fine the other problem would be your digital optical as the PJ doesn't have an output.

Just read your other post. Good call on the amp.
You posted just before I repled😴

My fault I misread your setup.
However unless you don't intend to use 4k hdr on one of the PJ inputs then you should be fine the other problem would be your digital optical as the PJ doesn't have an output.

Just read your other post. Good call on the amp.
You posted just before I repled😴

Yeh, The amps solution is the only way to do things correctly, and it means I can release myself from the shackles of the Playbar, which is very limited when it comes to AV.

Settled on the Yamaha 685 and the Monitor Audio SB-2. Seems like a good balance and can only sound better than the Sonos, and i can add a small sub if required.

Cheers for pointing me in the right direction... The expensive direction, but the right one :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom