1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed - 4:3 projectors 16:9 image

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dbellamy, Apr 24, 2002.

1. dbellamy

dbellamy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering a projector at present but one thing I can`t seem to work out or find info on anywhere is:

Why would I buy a 4:3 projector when most of my collection is 16:9(or similair). How do the 4:3 projectors handle it?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply.

Darren

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    4:3 projectors have devices in them called scalers. They will take the incoming signal and map it to the pixel array in the projector. So if you have an XGA 1024x768 panel in your projector and you want to play a widescreen DVD the scaler will create the requisite black bars and just use the middle section of its panel.

Gordon

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you buy a 4x3 projector, then any movie etc., which is wider than this will be displayed with a smaller height. Because peoples' perception of "size" is determined more by height than by width, you will perceive wider images as smaller.

Whereas, if you buy a 16x9 device, then 4x3 and 16x9 images will appear the same height, with 4x3 images narrower. Most people would percieve the two as the same "size".

Anything wider than 16x9 will reduce in height, but to a lesser (relative) degree than would be the case on a 4x3 device.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would this mean that when viewing a 16:9 pic on a 4:3 projector, it doesnt make any difference if you set it up for:

1- dvd player to widescreen mode and projector ratio to 16:9

or

2 - dvd player to 4:3 letterbox mode and projector ratio to normal viewing.

as the same amount of pixels are being used would it still be true that option 1 is still better?

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Theoretically, option 1 is still better. More of the picture content actually contains useful information (rather than plain black) so the scaler has more data to work with.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Not just in theory...Usually always i npractice too. Sony's are pretty good at letterboxing but I'd always advise getting projector to do that bit...

If you want to see what sort of problems it can cause get out that old chesnut STAR TREK INSURRECTION and play the openning scene till the sleuce gate. Look at the tops of the houses and see if you notice any difference with the DVD set between 4:3letterbox and 16:9....hahaha!

Gordon

7. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The 16:9 ratio signal is scaled into an area of the 4:3 panel. The result is letterboxing, like on a 4:3 TV set.

Most panels are higher res than the signal anway, which means that ALL images are going to be scaled.

eg. A 4:3 unit with an 800x600 res panel (SVGA) will display 16:9 images in an 800x450 letterbox window.

It's better to let the projector do the scaling, than leave it to the built in letterboxing facility on the DVD player. This way you get the maximum possible resolution out of your panel.

Gav

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.
    ;)