1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed: 2nd Display DVI Problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Hlynur, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Hlynur

Hlynur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried searching for help on this problem but couldn't find anything (probably mostly due to my inability to label the problem :blush: ). If there are any threads covering this that I missed then I apologise. This is probably very basic but I can't even guess what went wrong.

I have been trying to set-up my Radeon 9500 pro card to run a second display (being a Panasonic AE300 thru DVI), the first display being a normal monitor (CRT?) thru VGA. This should be completely beyond me, yet I decided to try anyway.

So things were going well. Surprisingly well. It couldn't last. And it didn't.

Both displays were working. The PC identifies the monitor as 1 and projector as 2. Excellent, just what I wanted. The projector is giving an image with blue bars next to the 4:3 desktop picture, so I drag the DVD window of a 4:3 disk onto the secondary display and put it in full screen. Excellent, the blue bars change to black around the 4:3 image. So I decide to get a 16:9 disk to test if widescreen works as it should. So I close the DVD player software. Now something goes wrong.

The DVD drive starts behaving oddly (closest I can describe it as chopping sounds). The projector display goes blank. The "DVI Auto" message in green begins flashing like when no signal is being sent. The monitor display remains normal.

I then tried all the obvious tricks I could think of (rebooting, removing the DVI, removing the DVD disk, etc.) but still nothing on the projector. Then in Display Properties I switch the monitor to be the second display, and to my surprise the projector roars to life with the image I had had on my monitor (ie. the desktop). The monitor is now displaying what I had on the projector to start with. So I switch back the settings, making the projector the second display and it immediantly goes blank. Rebooting, removing both cables, etc makes no difference. The projector will not show the secondary display, but happily shows the primary.

So the situation now is that the monitor works as the primary and secondary display, however the projector can only work as the primary. This is despite working perfectly well as the secondary display minutes before. The closest I can get is that the PC has stopped (and is now refusing to) send the secondary signal through DVI, but happily sends the primary signal through DVI and both the primary and secondary through the VGA. Further more I have no idea why this happened.

So can someone tell me want the hell happened? :confused: Or more importantly how to fixed it?

It was all going so well :( :laugh:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    First, the AE300 is best driven by VGA from a PC, you'll not get 1:1 mapping using DVI. I drive my AE300 from a 9600 using the VGA and use DVI to connect to an LCD monitor.

Second, the Catalyst drivers will often disable the second monitor for no apparent reason when you mess with resolutions or display 1 or 2 selection ... go to the Displays tab and ensure both interfaces are enabled.

I use only the pj for output, running the desktop at 960x540 is a bit tedious but works okay for me since I all really do with this PC is play DVDs and MP3s. To run both is a bit tricky, someone round here gave me some tips and I got it working but it was a pain and in the end I decided I preferred just using the PJ.

This is the thread in which I asked for help in doing exactly what you're trying to do .. hope it helps.

3. Hlynur

Hlynur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply KRaGorn. On the strength of that and further playing around, it does appear that only the widescreen resolution will not display on the projector, despite working briefly before I started this thread and (for no apparent reason) last night for a short time.

Is now the time for me to start using Powerstrip? Presumably that will give me a resolution that the HCPC will accept permanently, or am I being hopelessly ignorant/optimistic?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, Powerstrip can set your graphics resolution way beyond what Windows standard drivers understand.

It loads on booting or logging in and adds extra resolutions that you can select just like those 'built in' to the standard system.

5. Scott Smart

Scott Smart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless it has changed recently with newer display drivers you must bear in mind that if you are using overlay it will only diplay on the primary monitor. I think that if you use the VMR you can use either display.

Good Luck