1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, Need urgent replacement for 29" Sony

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jackuzi, Jul 21, 2002.

1. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay Peeps,

I need a quick decision here and with your help I'm sure I won't regret it!! My Sony 29" 4:3 TV decided to retire this morning after 9 years of faithful service.

I'm looking for options. I would like something at least as big. I want the screen to be at least as tall as the 29" 4:3 so in widescreen terms does that mean at least a 36" screen?

I'm not bothered about the sound as I have an decent AV amp setup already.

Would go plasma but the prices are dire at the moment, so it's gonna be CRT or Rear Projection.

Are rear projection reliable and ok to run as a normal TV? Are they expensive when lamps go etc?

My only other option is to get another 29" or bigger 4:3 ratio TV for around £500.

We can go to about £1500, especially with interest free.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Uzi

2. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big is Best:blush: ..IMO:you,ve got to go for a RP,...On the whole,these are brilliant sets(Toshiba,s are worth a look).Not only for TV,Movies,Games.etc...they look superb in your front room!!!
    If you are worried about the maintenance of a set,think of it this way...if you take out the correct warrenty/insurance the set will be covered for the next few years.After that time the price of plasma will be down(probably),..so you will have a set that will fetch a good second hand price,and that Plasma set will be yours at a price that is right:D

3. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In my opinion none of the rear projection sets offer a picture quality anything like as good as a decent 100Hz set - I would recomend you go and audition something like a Sony 36" 100hz against some rear projection sets. You won't have any problems with viewing angles and ambient lighting that you will with RP.

Having said that, these 36" CRTs are HUGE and very heavy so they may not be suitable for your room etc.