1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, need to shop now

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by novice2, Dec 21, 2004.

1. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I am new at this. I have no idea what I am doing but have cash burning a hole in my pocket and a desire for some top notch AV equipment. Unfortunately the missus has only allowed me the use of a small room so I am contemplating the TH37PE30 with the pedestal stand (seems to be the least offensive model for the lasses according to the threads I have read while offering good results). As to the other equipment I have, I am looking for a total upgrade from the equipment I have had since university. I currently have an ELAC sub & sat system which I am fairly happy with (only allowed sub & sat with the room available) and bargain basement Toshiba 220e dvd player. I am looking for a DVD player for around £500, a receiver for around £1000 to hook up to the panny and my SKY+. PLEASE provide suggestions and advice as to whether I should be getting the panny.

All providers of advice will receive a free lollipop in the post*

(*subject to availability)

2. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get yorself a nice hitachi 42pd5200 nokes the spots off other plasmas

3. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thats not what everyone else says ;)

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Most people will invariably think that the one they have bought and just spent thousands of pounds on is the best...but what suits one person may not suit another...if possible go and have a look yourself at the various models - they each have their own pro's and con's.

Questions to ask yourself, amongst others, are:

• Do you want just a plasma monitor or do you want the built-in speakers and tuner ?
    • Do you want a HD panel or will you be happy with an SD one ?
    • What do you think about the AliS technology used in some Sony, Fujitsu & Hitachi panels ? or do you want a progressive display ?
    • What connections do you want now and in the future ? can it be upgraded later ?
    • Are you interested in Sky HD and other future HD source ? if so you need to think about compatibility.
    • Will you want to connect up a PC ? if so a HD panel may be more suited.

Like I say it’s not as easy as saying X is the best…it’s just not the case.

Cheers, Lee

5. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help. It has deffinately given me something to think about. Not to mention the fact that I have not even delved into the murky world of cables and interconnects.

6. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A mate of mine has just bought the 37" Panasonic Viera that you mentioned for £2000 at Powerhouse, and that included the proper stand, not the pedestal stand.

Without getting into the pros and cons of that particular model, in itself this is a great deal. Apparently, its for 3 days only, so possibly tomorrow is the last day??

As far as the DVD player goes, the 575 has got good reviews all round, and its available for about £120 in most places.

Receiver wise, I would trust only Pioneer these days (its my personal opinion) and the VSX AX5Ai is a fantastic one for around £1000.

Finally, have a look at Creative Audio as a potential place to buy your stuff from ,as they are excellent for customer service, something that is a rare commodity in today's society.

Niraj

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Think you need to talk through your options with someone, where are you, someone will volunteer you a decent dealer.

8. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am based in London so I am presuming there will probably be a decent dealer around somewhere. The customer service at creative sounds good. I am planning on talking this through with someone at a store, I just wanted to learn the basic tennets of the language so that I didn't sound like an idiot and could understand what they were telling me.

The deal at powerhouse sounds fantastic, thanks for the advice.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, in London you have the full range, from the sublime to the ridiculous.