Question Help Need To Replace 51" Samsung Plasma TV's

Suave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been out of the TV Scene for a while but our current Samsung PS51E6500 Plasma's have panel issues so I am looking to replace them.

I would like something the same size & am really not fussed at all about 4K as the majority of stuff my family watch is either SD or HD.

I was thinking about the HiSense models but saw a review by Vincent Teoh yesterday on YouTube on the 50" N6800 & it seemed to have real PQ issues.

My main needs would be good PQ & as it will be an LCD, looking for a model that does not have LCD quirks like artefacts, soap opera effect, & motion/blurring issues as well as uneven backlighting. Should I look at models with 120Hz panels or better?

A decent Smart System would be nice as well as the family use the Youtube app & some others & I would like to be able to connect tablets, phones, cameras etc to view multi media content & picture slide shows, videos etc.

The other issue is that we are limited to buying from John Lewis so I will only have a very limited choice & will be forced to pick the best of what they offer - our budget is between £600-£700.

Can anyone help me out here on what are the best & latest sets to consider without PQ or performance issues please?

Many Thanks!

looking for a model that does not have LCD quirks like artefacts, soap opera effect, & motion/blurring issues as well as uneven backlighting.

No LCD is exempt from motion blur or varying screen uniformity. Some do better than others with screen uniformity and some have better options to increase motion clearness but you can't really get what you are asking without going for OLED, even high end LCDs have motion blur and varyig screen uniformity, let alone under your budget.

No TV is 51 any more, its a choice of either 49/50" or 55". Can you afford 55"?

To be hones there aren't any decent FHD TVs made anymore and UHD models will do a worse job with SD material, so your best bet is likely the second hand market looking at another Plasma or LCD of 2 or 3 years old..back when FHD LCDs were still available as high end models.

No LCD is exempt from motion blur or varying screen uniformity. Some do better than others with screen uniformity and some have better options to increase motion clearness but you can't really get what you are asking without going for OLED, even high end LCDs have motion blur and varyig screen uniformity, let alone under your budget.

No TV is 51 any more, its a choice of either 49/50" or 55". Can you afford 55"?

To be hones there aren't any decent FHD TVs made anymore and UHD models will do a worse job with SD material, so your best bet is likely the second hand market looking at another Plasma or LCD of 2 or 3 years old..back when FHD LCDs were still available as high end models.

Hi!

Many Thanks! I appreciate that all LCD's will suffer from motion issues so I guess I was hoping to get a set with the specs that will allow for the PQ to be acceptable most of the time with various types of programmes if that makes sense? Unfortunately, OLED or the very high end models are not in the budget sadly.

I need two sets so would settle on a 50" & a 55". You are right in saying there are hardly any FHD sets available now but do you know which are the best ones that still might be? If not, I guess I will have a to get 4K ones but am quite worried about the SD PQ quality tbh.

The trouble is these will probably be warranty replacements with John Lewis so I am forced to either accept what they offer or select something of my choice from their range make up any difference they might offer on top.

What from their models from their offerings would you say might be the best bets? It has been so long sinceI have looked at TV's that I am really way out of the information & value loop!

Suave!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom