1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP, need to record audio from a microphone, into my line-in socket on MP3 player!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jskjas, May 22, 2005.

1. jskjas

jskjas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my mp3 player has a line-in socket and I want to capture audio from an external microphone, into this line-in (i don't have a mic-in on this mp3 player).

Is there anyway of doing this, whether it is using some sort of connector in between, or a transformer. I can't seem to pick up anything. I know the microphone itself works, as my MiniDisc has a mic-in which can record the mic audio - yet I want to capture it on my mp3 player if I can.

Please, can anyone help!

2. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert, but it might be useful if you can tell us what mp3 player you have.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    What you need is a microphone preamp such as This to boost the level output from the mic to line level.

Mark.

4. jskjas

jskjas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, cheers for the current replies.

The MP3 player is an XDRUM XD403-PRO, and has a capacity of 1GB (here's a link to its brief description + pic: http://www.kjglobal.co.uk/acatalog/XDrum_XD403.html).

I actually checked out this maplin preamp a couple of days back, but it states that it needs to be plugged into a mains. I intend to make some short movies with mine, so would ideally would want something that is mobile, which the actor could walk around with - i.e. if it was wireless or phantom powered.

Is there a wireless or phantom powered alternative to this preamp?

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Your wish is my command :D

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?MB7

MB7 microphone pre-amplifer

This allows a mono microphone to be connected to an amplifier (or tape deck etc) with a phono line input. The input is a 6.3mm jack socket and the output is fed equally to the 2 phono line outputs making easy connection to setero equipment. It has a high 40dB gain and very low noise. It’s powered by a 9v PP3 battery, which is switched off automatically when you unplug the mic.
    [MB7] £49.99 (£42.55 ex VAT)

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?MB8

MB8 microphone pre-amplifier

This is allows a stereo microphone to be connected to an amplifier (or tape deck etc) with a stereo phono line input. The mic input is a 6.3mm jack socket (an adaptor could be used for 3.5mm mic jacks) and the gain is 40db. The power supply is a 9v PP3 battery, which is switched off automatically when you unplug the mic.
    [MB8] £69.99 (£59.57 ex VAT)

But obviously they do cost a fair bit more :thumbsdow

Ho Hum,
    Well at least they should do what you want.

Mark.

6. jskjas

jskjas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers MarkE19, i guess these would be the only alternatives around - they are bit pricey...so I might have to stick with my MiniDisc, but if there is even a cheaper alternative still, i would really appreciate anymore suggestions you or anyone else has,

please, if there is anything cheaper, and even smaller still, that would be great, but cheers in the mean time