help!...need to fix daughters netbook!

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by reevesy, Aug 13, 2013.

1. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
    hi all...
    daughter was complaining about her netbook being slow so I uninstalled a lot of the bumpth including the Microsoft active whatitsname (after checking online that it was safe to do!?) that came with it ....cleaned up and defragged etc..

now I've what I think is a flash player problem

she cant play her games...and problem solver in windows is bringing up a couple of video errors.

going to adobes flash player web page and following links it tells me that I need to enable active scripting in internet tools - security settings etc...which I do....but afterwards i'm following the download links and theres 'download' button.......also a window tells me that a add on for this site has failed.

also after enabling the active scripting I click on the google homepage and the search box is briefly there then goes....and then you cant type anything in it?

.....disable active scripting then google is fine again??

I'm getting reading to do a clean install....but would rather not so any help would be most appreciated.

cheers

i'm running win 7 starter and explorer 10

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
    well finally got flash player installed...manually selected my operating system rather than adobe doing it

...still got the scripting problem though.....videos will play with the scripting enabled but google has the same problem....disable the active scripting and google works fine but the flash player/video wont??

3. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +535
    Backup all her data, photos, vids, docs, music etc. Then rebuild the laptop from scratch using the Windows 7 disc or restore discs and do all the Windows updates. Then install, Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Java, Antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials is good and free).

Nothing beats a good rebuild from time to time.

4. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
    that's what I was thinking I should have done before I started uninstalling stuff....