Help - need to do a best man speech - in Polish!

p9ul

Distinguished Member
I could with some advice regarding a best man speech I have to do in July - trouble is it's in Krakow and I don't know a word of Polish or what may or may not go down well with a Polish audience...

I think I know what I'm putting into my English speech (the couple are having a seperate "do" when they get back for anyone not travelling to Poland) so "the big one" will be made at a later date.

I have no idea what to put in a dual-language speech - I intend to keep it short and keep jokes to a minimum - what are the do's and don't of a Polish wedding?

...and any good websites that can translate English into Polish that I can read phonetically?

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Do it in English and in Polish, only do it in incorrect Polish, get someone to translate some funny lines for you, so they think you are actually getting all your Polish incorrect.

So you could start off by saying something like:

This is my first visit to Poland and I thank you all for being so welcomming.

Then you could say something in Polish that is completely unrealted, something like:

This is what I get for asking someone to translate my lines for me, I am talking complete rubbish!

Of course you only want to do that for a few lines, then you can do something else a little more serious. That is of course if you want to go down the humourous route.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Probably the only person that can translate will be the bride which might prove difficult - the couple live about 50 miles away and I don't have a contact no. for the bride so I'll have to do a bit of sneaking around behind my mates back to get her help! It could be good though as the groom will have no idea his wife will be making his best man's speech.

Good idea for translation balls up though - I was thinking along similar lines but using words that are "normal" in one language but might be a little rude in the other.

I've got a load of tales about the groom but I think the funny side may be lost in translation so I'm keeping those for the English only speech later on - eg my mate used to have a Raleigh Chopper, one day we had 7 of us go down a big hill on it - I was going to make a comment along the lines of "to my knowledge, the only time he's had 7 go down on his chopper..."

Last edited:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I would have a stab at Polish forums, a google on them brings some up with boards for Translation help:
Polish Translation (Page 1) - Polish Language and Translation Forum : Learning Polish and Polish Translation

You can run the translations against Google Translate or Babelfish or something to make sure they seem legit. Otherwise you might actually end up getting stitched up on your stitch up :laugh:

The problem with things like Google Translate is they are not perfect, I don't know any Polish but being a slavic language I figure Google Translate will not get you very far, especially with tenses and genders. But it will help getting the gist of something...

http://www.livemocha.com/ is good for learning languages as people will record things on there for you to listen to, perhaps try that as well for what you need.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
I had a look at Google translate - and apologies in advance to any Poles but every word looked like a sneeze or a cough...

I think my best bet will be getting hold of the bride if I can - a bit of a lazy option in getting some else to translate - but could be fun if I say the polish bits and she says the English, that way everyone will know what's being said...

John

Do you know if the same is expected in a "Polish" Best Mans speech and is expected in a "British" one ? You don't want to have an International Incident on your hands :laugh:

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Do you know if the same is expected in a "Polish" Best Mans speech and is expected in a "British" one ? You don't want to have an International Incident on your hands :laugh:

That's one of my worries - what is expected, apart from the gallons of vodka I'm going to be going through...

kav

Distinguished Member
Can't help on the speech, but may I recommend Tyskie and Zywiec beers - nice.

MIghtyG

Do it in English and in Polish, only do it in incorrect Polish, get someone to translate some funny lines for you, so they think you are actually getting all your Polish incorrect.

I'd deffo do something like this, do a search for David Hyde Pierce. He did a fantastic stand up routine in Canada speaking english and french, very funny stuff! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom