Help!!! Need some advice building a media PC

adamukkent

Standard Member
:hiya:

This is my first post so am very new to this.

I am thinking o f building a media PC and would like some advice on the below

1) Any websites or forums that have build advice

2) What spec others are using and information on what components to use ie Motherboard, graphics, speakers etc

3) Which Windows Vista to use and optional remote control blah blah

4) Is there any way of hooking up my sky + box to the system so it can be an all in 1.

:lease: if anyone has answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Adam

MacBurp

Here is as good a place to start as any. You should also look at thegreenbutton.com. There are plenty of resources on the net that are easy to find.

Use Google and do your research before you post further, as you need to ask specific questions if you want a quality answer.

good luck,
Paul

KraGorn

Hi :hiya:

Some quick answers:

1) here (as Paul said)

2) many threads here talking about components people use .. your first step though is to identify exactly what you mean by an HTPC because there are many things that fall under this term.

3) Don't use Vista :), it'[s an operating system looking for a reason to exist. :)

4) many threads here asking just this question, one I see only a few entries down in the thread index at the moment.

Synchro

Distinguished Member
Nowt wrong with Vista IMO, but Win XP MCE 2005 is easier when first starting, as it is supported better.

adamukkent

Standard Member
lovely thanks people

i have loads of different ideas of what i want to do and have been looking at other threadss. I will take all these onboard and i will post later when i have a more specific idea

sideysid

1) Yup - this one. :)

Look around the net, depends what you want to get out of your HTPC.

2) Again depends what you want - slimline MATX cases?

Im using a Artisan case with MATX Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD on route as I type this. onboard HDMI graphics, and Realtek ALC885 audio (currently only HD audio chip for HD-DVD & Bluray). Core2Duo 6400, 2gb ram, 500gb HDD, TwinhanDTV Cab-CI DVB-C PCI card all teamed up to my 7.1 Sony DA1200ES setup and Fujitsu plasma.

3) That would depend on your setup and drivers. Quite a few cases have IR intergrated and VFDs etc but may not have the drivers to support Vista 64bit.

4) Yup - Or just replace your Sky + box with your HTPC instead!

christhedon

1) Yup - this one. :)

Look around the net, depends what you want to get out of your HTPC.

2) Again depends what you want - slimline MATX cases?

Im using a Artisan case with MATX Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD on route as I type this. onboard HDMI graphics, and Realtek ALC885 audio (currently only HD audio chip for HD-DVD & Bluray). Core2Duo 6400, 2gb ram, 500gb HDD, TwinhanDTV Cab-CI DVB-C PCI card all teamed up to my 7.1 Sony DA1200ES setup and Fujitsu plasma.

3) That would depend on your setup and drivers. Quite a few cases have IR intergrated and VFDs etc but may not have the drivers to support Vista 64bit.

4) Yup - Or just replace your Sky + box with your HTPC instead!

Is it HDMI 1.3 your motherboard?

sideysid

Is it HDMI 1.3 your motherboard?

1.3 wont be applicable to PC hardware for some time yet (if ever).

Part of the spec includes the decoding of Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD which are not output by any HDMI PC device, which is usually video only, and if audio is outputted also, it would be so via a SPDIF link to the HDMI which hasn't got the bandwith for the next gen auido formats.
Currently the only way this would be possible is via the analogues when using the realtek ALC885 sound chip (which doesn't downsample the next gen audio) via PC.

Regarding the colour output of 1.3, there is debate that you would see a difference especially on the average household displays.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom