1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Need ideas on Sub and Center?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ailean, Nov 3, 2003.

1. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning,

I'm trying to find a few ideas for Subwoofers and Center speakers.

Currently;

Mission 753 (main)
    Kef 90 (Center)

Room is 24' x 12' with the setup running the long way from the bay.

I'm aiming at £500-£800 for the Sub and £200-£350 for the Center. The 753's aren't lacking in bass so the sub will have to go low and kick some to fill the room. The Kef90 is a nice speaker but I feel it's a little under powered and lacking in range to match the 753's (had a tighter budget at the time).

I did nearly buy a 2nd hand 5.0 set of Mission 753Freedom but remembered that the I wasn't impressed with the center in that range originally. I'd love to use another 753 but then I wouldn't be able to see the TV. :rolleyes:

Was looking for a Paradigm Servo 15 but the two places that used to stock them don't anymore. I was pointed to an ex-demo Yam 800 (under £400) but althou looks the part I keep hearing poor things about the Yam's (found the 1500 for about £600 too).

Others I've got listed are;

Mission M5
    Rel Strata III
    B&W 650

Help? :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you have considered something of the size and power of the Servo 15 one option to put on your list is the Velodyne CHT-15 which isn't widely available in this country but forum sponsors AV-Sales.com are Authorized stockists and can offer a demo in their Kent premises.

Another possibility is PC Plus range from SVS which you can purchase directly from them in US here and is a route that quite a few of us have taken this year including myself.

Both speakers are in a different league to those on your list and as you're fairly local to me you can always listen to my 20-39 PC Plus if that is of interest to you

3. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian, I was waiting for the SVS plug from someone! ;)

Yep I've read a few of the comments on this but I'm not sure if I want to go to the hassle of importing such a monster for my first Sub.

But yeah I'm always open to convincing, I just don't know how my room will fair with a sub so idealy would want to be able to home demo something before spending >£700. :suicide:

Can you PM me where you are as I certainly need to get some ear-education on this. :cool:

4. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Bump]

Okay people I've got a few Sub ideas but how about a Center?

Currently got nothing in mind so will probably have to go demoing but I'd like a few names to look out for?

Thanks.