Question Help...Need advice r.e making tv less a focal point

samo8076

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 55" 4K TV that i have recently brought out of storage to my new home. Problem is the girlfriend does not want it to be the focal point of the room, which in all fairness as its so big it will be.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to hide or make it less of a focal point? We are planning on having a fireplace but she does not want it above it. I have been thinking about a corner unit, but again because it's so big it may dominate.

The room is 16ft by 12ft.

Thanks

Whenever I get one of those from my o/h I always flip it back right from the outset and ask 'so if you don't want 'x', what do you want? Do you know what she wants the focal point to be?

You don’t want to get stuck in the restaurant loop –
‘What shall we have’…
shall we try…
“No”
shall we try…
“No”
shall we try…
“No”……

she most certainly wants the fire place to be the focal point, other than that she is not sure how she wants the room.

Its a tricky one as it's completely subjective, but... your room dims are very close to mine (mine being 16ft x 14ft), I've got the same size telly and a fireplace in the middle of the room. I'm not a fan of the telly above the fireplace either if it forces it to sit really high up the wall, so my telly is in the corner to the side of the chimney breast. I've had to compromise on a few things as it's a living room first and foremost (check out the fronts, especially that left behind the sofa...), but if you want a reference of what that can look like in a similar sized room here's mine:
20181201_161810.jpg 20181129_145123.jpg
You can see from the front on pic that the telly could certainly still be considered pretty dominant though...

thanks for the pictures, it gives me an idea of placement. i think she would be happy with the tv that close to the fireplace. one thing thats just come to mind though is possible having the fireplace one side of the room and the tv the other and the sofa/chairs side ways on?

thanks for the pictures, it gives me an idea of placement. i think she would be happy with the tv that close to the fireplace. one thing thats just come to mind though is possible having the fireplace one side of the room and the tv the other and the sofa/chairs side ways on?
It's possible. I take it your fireplace isn't existing as you talk about planning for one? Have you got an existing chimney breast - if you do that would be major work/cost to move. If not the options are easier, but whats your intent - new mantlepiece, electric fire?, chimney breast / no chimney breast?

……...you need a bigger telly to totally dominate the room.....get a 65/75 inch :clap:
Total domination with a 75" telly would be lovely...:D :devil:

drevil.gif

It's possible. I take it your fireplace isn't existing as you talk about planning for one? Have you got an existing chimney breast - if you do that would be major work/cost to move. If not the options are easier, but whats your intent - new mantlepiece, electric fire?, chimney breast / no chimney breast?

no fireplace currently. plan is to have an electric fire with fireplace and harth

how about if your building a fireplace (and maybe a chimney breast?) incorporating the tv into the breast, so its sunk in, could fit some doors or something not so obvious over the top so its hidden until you want to use it

Doors not the best idea, but something like that??

I don't really see an issue in the size?
The TV is in the corner out of the way.
The speakers are standing out as they are so big though.
Put the sub next to the left speaker out of sight maybe? that's the only thing that "stands out" to me as its right in middle.
As with many GF's for some odd reason, they care very little about AV setups so that big sub in the middle sticking out is probably an eyesore.
Or move the sub to the other side of the TV unit (next to the black line) push it back abit so its not sticking out, push the tv unit to the right (so the right side is where the sub is now agaisn't the fireplace) and have the TV stand on the left side of the unit instead of in the middle. Just to get the sub away from the middle of the room (the fireplace)

I would look exactly the same except the sub is no longer the "centre".

Last edited:
no fireplace currently. plan is to have an electric fire with fireplace and harth
Then you've got plenty of flexability to put it wherever you want as long as it fits - the only consideration left would be the aesthetics (if off centre etc.). That'll be subject to your own and o/h's tastes

how about if your building a fireplace (and maybe a chimney breast?) incorporating the tv into the breast, so its sunk in, could fit some doors or something not so obvious over the top so its hidden until you want to use it

Doors not the best idea, but something like that??
This is a pretty good idea. I agree it would be hard to make doors look pretty but if you can figure out the concealment you could build a faux chimney breast from plasterboard and studwork to whatever size you need.

The trick is the concealment, you need something that looks good, passes with the o/h, but is easily openable - you don't want to be lifting down a large mirror every time you want to watch the telly!

I don't really see an issue in the size?
The TV is in the corner out of the way.
The speakers are standing out as they are so big though.
Put the sub next to the left speaker out of sight maybe? that's the only thing that "stands out" to me as its right in middle.
As with many GF's for some odd reason, they care very little about AV setups so that big sub in the middle sticking out is probably an eyesore.
Or move the sub to the other side of the TV unit (next to the black line) push it back abit so its not sticking out, push the tv unit to the right (so the right side is where the sub is now agaisn't the fireplace) and have the TV stand on the left side of the unit instead of in the middle. Just to get the sub away from the middle of the room (the fireplace)

I would look exactly the same except the sub is no longer the "centre".
Hey, leave my eyesore sub out of this, we're talking about @samo8076 room :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

No fake chimney breast so how about a shallow fake wall ? With a recess in it above the fireplace for the telly , then cover the telly with a large picture of her choice.

These are pictures from the rightmove advert.

1st pic is where we are debating putting the new fireplace.

Attachments

• lounge1.JPG
    lounge1.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 265
  • lounge2.JPG
    lounge2.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 268
  • lounge3.JPG
    lounge3.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 259
Download one the many free room design programs, that way you can try things out before making things permanent. (It’s also much easier than to keep moving furniture around to try and make it look right)

Bill

wow thats some expensive stuff. id probably purchase Samsungs 'the frame' if i were to go down that route

I’ve seen both many times and they are much much nicer than the Samsung Frame. The Box around the Samsung Frame looks cheap too me. Each to their own though

I have a similar room domination problem and similar SWMBO. The recess by the chimney breast where a new 55" would have to go is too narrow. A plan I devised some time ago but have yet to implement is to mount the 55" on a trolley/cabinet such that I can mount the TV in a portrait position on a Vogels rotating bracket that will allow the TV to be pushed into the recess when not in use, hidden by a shoji screen or some such. When I want to use it I pull it clear of the recess and rotate the TV through 90 degrees. An alternative plan is to have the screen (or bookshelves) mounted on the rear of the trolley so that the whole lot can be swivelled on castors through 180 degrees to expose the TV, which is then rotated to the landscape position.

As I say, I've yet to do this, but it may trigger some ideas for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom