Help! Need a new amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by John-D, Nov 30, 2002.

1. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,

I would like some help. I'm getting ready to buy a new THX amp/receiver, and although I like the look of the Pioneer AX-10, I really can't go over the £2500 budget again.

Can anyone tell me, if the new Pioneer VSX D2011 sounds better than my aging Denon AVC-A1. I've had the Denon since the day it was launched (must admit, it still sounds fantastic), but It's time to think new. Three (L, R & Surr-R) of my internal amps are about to retire.

Also, would the soon to be released Denon 3803 sound better than the pioneer?

Thanks for time,
    JD

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    It is difficult to judge whether or not a forthcoming amp is better than a newly released one. What I can say is that I have heard both the 3801 and 3802. There wasn’t much difference at all between the two; despite the fact some magazines were saying the 3802 was the best thing since sliced bread.
    Frankly, I would be astonished if the forthcoming 3803 produced better noise than your AVC-A1 did (certainly, the 3802 wasn’t anywhere close). I would think that the decoding portion of the 3803 may well be better, as newer, more capable, technologies are available for less. This will most likely be offset by the 3803’s more than inferior amplification compared with your AVC-A1, though.
    As for the 2011, which I must admit haven’t heard, I can only say the following: The Pioneer is a £750 amp that, by all accounts on this forum, is very good. However, your AVC-A1 cost £2000 new, and it was/is a fantastic amp itself. Again, even though technology has moved on, I would be surprised if the 2011 was any better or even approaching your AVC-A1.
    If I were you, I wouldn’t be happy taking a retrograde or sideways step from the A1. I would rather save up until those amps fully retire, and get something like a Denon A11-SR, Harman/Kardon 8500, or Marantz 9200 (all THX Ultra, I might add). Perhaps even a secondhand AX10 (I’ve seen one or two already advertised) or Onkyo 989?

Russell

3. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the thoughts, RussRaff.

I think you're right, if I do buy something thats not quite up to my AVC-A1, I'm gonna be un-happy. Maybe it's worth waiting, for one of the systems you pointed out, to drop in price, or look around for a good second-hand system.

Cheers again,
    JD