1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - need 17'' LCD advice for girl friend

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by uk_olly_uk, Nov 6, 2003.

1. uk_olly_uk

uk_olly_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a call from a good female friend of mine this morning saying that she was in Alders (?!) and was about to buy a 17'' widescreen tv (without having looked into it at all and relying entirely on the part time sales guy who was on loan from the kitchenware department). I managed to talk her out of there... but then got a call about half an hour later saying that she was now in a certain high street electronics retailer and was trying to decide with the sales guy which one she should get. Again, I got her out before she signed up for an outdated model with a 5 year 'warantee' that cost 8 times the amount of the tv.

I really don't get people who buy things without looking into them - I actually spent two solid days (at work ahem) researching which mouse mat I should buy. Sad but true (but I got a good one).

Unfortunately, although I know a lot about gadgetry in general and computers, I know nothing about 17'' LCD TV's, so that's where you guys come in.

I had a look in W H Smiths at some of the magazines, but there doesn't seem to be a clear winner in the 17'' widescreen tv field. There's a Philips one that is well reviewed, but it's pretty expensive at about £900.

Please help me/her!

I guess her requirements are:

Mainly for use as a tv, so good reception picture etc. but wants widescreen.
    Good sound.
    No more than £800 (although if there's really nothing I guess she could stretch to £900 for the Philips)
    Best price would be around £600
    Looks good (it's for her bedroom)

Any suggestions will be instantly passed on via me to her mobile. I've told her not to buy anything until she hears from me (and I think if there's something that's internet only she'd wait for a couple of days) but I really don't want her to spend all that money on impulse (she's not that well off) on a piece of cr*p that she'll wish she'd never bought in a week or two.

Thanks a million :clap:

2. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There's one called Relisys RLT1720 that gets good reviews, I think it's about £500 as well.

Someone sells them on Ebay quite a lot and they are on www.letsbuyit.com as well.

Happy viewing,
    R.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +648
    As Rad has stated, the Relisys has had some good reviews, but then again, I have heard awful things (on this very forum) about it.

I am in the market for one too, and will be going down to Richer Sounds shortly (where they have one on display) to take a look.

You can buy it for less than £450 if you shop around. It seems to come in Silver, although some suppliers also have a Silver/Black model which has really grown on me. Also, make sure that you get the 'new' version with Teletext which is just starting to hit the shelves. Some of the stock out there won't have Teletext, but there is no way of knowing this unless you ask!

4. uk_olly_uk

uk_olly_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hadn't really though of Richer Sounds - I actually didn't know that they did displays at all. Let me know what you think of it if you manage to have a look.

Anybody got any suggestions other than the Relisys?

Thanks,

5. gurj

gurj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep,

The Grundig 17" lcd at Dixons/Currys. Has component in, d-sub for pc etc and best thing about it is thr price £499......Have seen the picture through a freeview box and a Tosh 330e via compnent and it is nothing short of impressive.

Will be getting one this weekend from a mate of mine who works there......£450 with his 10% discount....

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    I, too, have examined the Grundig and agree that it is both a good set and good value. I am hesitant to ever advise anyone to shop at Dixon$ but in this case I have to make an exception.

However - in no circumstances should you buy their extended warranty unless they offer a huge discount on the TV - in which case, buy the warranty and then cancel it within 7 days.

If you feel the need for an extended warranty, buy one from Domestic & General.

Oh, and, as with all LCD devices - try to examine YOUR set for dead pixels before you pay for it.

7. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
  8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I have the Grundig 17" widescreen in my bedroom, and was pleased with it when it was a bargain £700. It's even better value now at £500, I am tempted to buy another one.

I went round all retailers and compared every 17" widescreen LCD and this one had the best picture by far.

Only downsides are remote control is a bit flaky, component input will need a convertor if you only have RGB scart, Dixons Group sell it.

StooMonster

Edited for spelling. Doh!

9. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    £499 with a further 10% off at the mo on the website :clap:

10. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is a 15 inch lcd tv on sale in sainsbury from today

£299

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215