1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, Nearly there I think !!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mmrb, Jan 25, 2005.

1. mmrb

mmrb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have got it down to these three due to the zoom they have (unless you know different) and need experienced reasons which could be the one to buy, if that is at all possible. I appriciate personal preferances do come in to it.

Panny Z3, (Z15 a bit on the large size)
    Cannon S1 (AA batteries)
    Minolta Z3

Like the idea of lithion batteries so I can recharge with no memory loss, when I have finished using, weather it needs it or not ready for next use.

Did concider 765, 770 but lack of handshake correction and low light focusing prob led me away.

Needed for general use including sports, but not wanting to get to involved just yet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or different models (please no)

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the S1, nice camera but it doesn't have an AF lamp which can make focusing indoors tricky the IS is great and the movies it takes are the best around. From what i can see now though, i think i'd go for something like the panny fz20

3. jonhead34

jonhead34
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi mmrb

I can't comment on the Canon or the Minolta, but I've had a Panny FZ20 since November and absolutely love it. I know this is not one of the Pannys you listed, but they have similar features and similarly good reviews from what I have read.

The results from the FZ20 have been fantasic, and it feels like a real bargain for what I paid (just over £300). Needless to say, I've bee busily zooming the 12X optical zoom lens and have played around with the masses of features on the camera. The menus and sheer volume of features can be confusing and overwhelming to a non-expert, but a two hour investment in reading the manual soon starts to set you right!

It has handshake control, but I must admit that not all my handheld photos using 12X zoom have been totally blur-free. However, but most have been fine and the results at 12X using a tripod have been outstanding.

Whatever you choose, all the very best of luck with your digital camera!

All the best

Jon

4. mmrb

mmrb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jon, Seany,
    Thanks for your input, it is helping, I think.

Jon
    can you possibly say where you got your FZ20 from for a little over £300 or recommend where to shop for a good price !!

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. mmrb

mmrb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like the FZ3 for me, gone for size over Mp. If using the sd format will there be any noticable differance between standard ones and the faster ones (60, 66 times speeds) in this camera.
    Also what are the better makes, or more to the point the ones to avoid.

Thanks for all your help.

7. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jl £299

8. mmrb

mmrb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  9. jonhead34

jonhead34
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again

I got my Panny FZ20 from www.cameras2u.com in November for just less than £340 inc P&P, but the price has gone up since to well over £350.

Good luck and enjoy whatever camera you choose!

Cheers

Jon

10. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was JL £299 for FZ20 not for FZ3. I didn't come across clear in previous reply.

11. mmrb

mmrb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

JL list at 499 on their site, is there an offer on somewhere. You have got me thinking now at that price.

12. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got JL to pricematch Smiths TV and Video in Liverpool. Find anything cheaper anywhere and they'll pricematch, as long as it's not an internet orders only company. Good luck.

13. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    John Lewis currently have the Z20 at £399 in their Cheadle Store, still £100 more than in the post above though!

14. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. mmrb

mmrb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I should have realised it was this as it was this way I got my Panny 42PE30 and E85. That is a story on its own but well worth it.
    I am now waiting on a reply on the FZ20, thanks for the heads up on the Liverpool shop.
    Not bad as I started looking at the Oly 765, then Oly 770, then Panny FZ2 and now the Panny FZ 20, isn`t the internet great !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have been looking at 62mm adapters, UV lenses (lens protectors) and linear poarized lenses, any ideas ??????????. Picked this up of an other site, looks good especially the lense caps that undo from the middle. Undecided on make of lenses though and where from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...35595&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcN__Stores

Undecided on make of lense though and where from.
    Also can you recommend a bag, I would prefer one that attatches to the belt.

16. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered the following from Rong Jin (rongjin@phayee.com) last week:

Lens Adapter Tube 62mm - 72mm [$22.5]
    New style lens cap with cord (62mm) [$2.5]
    New style lens cap with cord (72mm) [$2.5]
    62mm HOYA HMC UV filter [$15]
    62 mm petal-shaped lens hood [$12]
    Postage and packaging [$8.5]

I can let you know what it's like when in arrives in about a week.

17. mmrb

mmrb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did not know he did the 62mm HOYA HMC UV filters aswell (never saw them on ebay). Did you buy direct or through his Ebay site, if direct how do you pay for said items, is it still with paypal.
    Never bought from abroad, still cautious about it all, although Rong Jing does get good feedback from other buyers.

18. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed him direct. Paid by paypal (first time I've ever used it). I'll know if he's any good in a week to 10 days.

Yes, he does do Hoya HMC UV (won't know if it's geniue item umtil I get it), but he does come with very good recommendations. FYI, the Hoya HMC Pro series is better but at £35 a pop, I'll have to improve my skills first.

19. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the information re Smiths in Liverpool.
    Just out of interest, how did you find out that they were selling FZ20's for such a small amount as I can find no evidence that they have a web site or even sell cameras ( or have I missed the plot about what you are suggesting)?

20. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Info due to the nice folks on forums at www.dpreview.com and www.steves-digicams.com. Folks on forums are always helpful. I've saved a ton of money over the last couple of years with advice and help from members on forums. Just passing on my good luck.

I also think many retailers are dishonest and make huge profits from consumers with no justification. User forums like this enable consumers to buy at fairer prices. In this country we always get charged in £ for what it costs US$ , be it cars, cameras TVs, etc.

21. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks, I have also looked at those sites, good reviews, but never got into the forums. Tonight might be the night.

22. jonhead34

jonhead34
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good luck with the FZ20 mmrb - I'm sure you won't regret it - I'm absolutely delighted with mine.

Please let us know how you get on with it, and also which bag you go for - I'm also after one!

Cheers

Jon

23. mmrb

mmrb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  24. m&m0001

m&m0001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys - i don't know if i am too late to post this but thought i ll share my knowledge. The Panasonic FZ3 model from pixmania is the European model. Saying that apart from a different power cable (easily replaceable) everything else including the guarantee is exactly the same. The only problem is that the camera does not come with an english manual as i discovered myself last november. Bought it for £256 i think which was a good price at the time.
    The camera came with 5 manuals in Spanish, German, French, Italian and something else but not english. Therefore beware...The camera is advertised as the GB model but its not!
    Hope this helps. If you dont mind though you can get the eu model and then download an electronic copy of the manual from panasonic.com (us site) - somehow the UK site only sells the manual!

Michael