Help! Narrowed down to the final three (I hope!)...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ollie501, Mar 19, 2006.

1. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi (again!!)

Since my Toshiba 42WP37 (based on PW6 panel) is in the process of dying, I am giving serious consideration to a new set, as I am fully expecting that the repair costs for the Tosh are going to be quite high, and don't really want to throw too much money at a set that isn't HD Ready.

I had pretty much made up my mind on a Pioneer 436RXE, but having read some concerns on the XDE regarding PC compatibility, not to mention screen burn, I am having a rethink. It has to be said that the lower cost of my other options is quite tempting as well.

Basically I have narrowed it down to (although am open to other suggestions)..

Hitachi 42PD7500 or 42PD7200 (depending on the difference; if it's purely the tuner, then the 7200 would do, for reasons below)

Panasonic 42PX60 - Seems to get very good reviews,

Pioneer.. 436 range (436XDE would be nice, but probably impractical price wise, due to having to add stand & speakers into the equation), hence considering the RXE

I'm not overly bothered about digital or analogue tuners.. I don't have one in the current set, I use Sky, so couldn't care less what it's got.

I would like to be to utilise my RGB Scart-VGA (RS Components) box, as it does improve the picture for satellite quite dramatically. With that in mind a DSUB VGA port would be nice, unless it is possible to do VGA-HDMI conversion? The main reason I want to keep that is it will probably be a while before Sky HD arrives, and even then I'll probably have to sell a kidney to pay for it, so it's standard def for the moment.

I know VGA can be converted easily to DVI.. Can that then be converted again up to HDMI, so I could still use the box (ie, going from scart-vga out-dvi-hdmi) or is that not possible/practical.

It would also be nice to be able to hitch my laptop up to it, as I gather some hi-def material is already available, in the form of WM-DVD (?)

I'd quite like PIP although it isn't essential, and plenty of menu options is always a good thing.. I like nothing more than a good fiddle!! Being able to tweak a good amount of options is never a bad thing. A pleasant lay out of the menu would be quite nice as well...

My other main confusion is with contrast ratios, since I don't fully understand them... The Panasonic set I've listed quotes it at 10,000:1 as opposed to Hitachi's 1000:1. Does that mean that the Panny is ten times brighter?

Some reasonably decent speakers included would be nice, although for DVD and 5.1 satellite broadcasts, it goes through an amp, so it's really only for general TV use.

With that lot in mind, which of the sets seems to be the preferable. I'm quite endeared to Hitachi's price, although of the three sets, it's the one I know least about. Edit.. I have just looked at the instruction manual for the Hitachi, and it doesn't appear to accept a 1080p signal. Is that likely to be a problem?

Finally, do any of these have upscaling of any sort, ie, bumping up the picture quality, again a subject I understand very little about, so forgive my ignorance if I'm barking up the wrong tree...

I hope that lot makes sense.. I am becoming increasingly confused and bewildered beyond belief, so any and all help very gratefully recieved! :lease:

2. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just a small update to the original question. I have pretty much dismissed the idea of the Pioneer. The RXE doesn't really offer all of the features I would like, by comparion to the XDE, and that is out of my price range sadly. If I am being reaslistic, the RXE is probably a little over budget when compared to prices of the Hitachi and Panny sets, which seemingly offer considerably more for the money...

3. g852

g852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just to add to your confusion....The Hitachi 42pd9700 will be out very soon....
    :eek: