Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HELP! - n00b Home Cinema/ Audio Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by emers0n, Oct 27, 2005.

1. emers0n

emers0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I've just signed up, i'm looking for some advice, i'm sure you can help!

I'm totally new to the AV scene, I'm looking to get a setup for a about £600ish give or take £100...I would like to be be suitable for both Listening to Music and Playing Movies...

I've been told that a good budget all round amp is the Cambridge Audio 540R...so i've set my sights on that already...

Looking to get maybe just a 3 speaker setup at the mo...money permitting...consisting of Front speakers and a centre speaker...

The question being, Which speakers would be good all rounders for both Music and Movies...in a reasonably small room.

I'm interested in the Kef Q Compact and Q6C Centre...what do you think?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    well, tbh if you are happy to do what i did and build the system up over a bit of time, i would consider this route, get the Denon 1906 receiver amp, and a pair of Monitor Audio RS1's.......now thats going to pretty much eat up the £600, if you go to Sevenoaks for this and tell them you will eventually expand to a full system then hopefully you can get them to chuck in some speaker cable cheap or even free ;-)

the MA RS1's are lovely speakers, i have heard them now, altho i personally own the S series which is the predecessor......

anyhow, this way, you get a lovely pair of speakers for music and a none too shabby amp, Denon and MA work well together (altho ask in the shop for other options, if you book a demo they will be happy to setup other brands they stock). This then leaves you future options, you can get the RS centre at a later date with a pair of RSFX bi/dipolar (switchable) surrounds, the centre is around £250 and the RSFX's are around £400, but again if you buy them together or during sale season you can get them cheaper, i did when i bought my S series ones..lol......then at some point get a nice sub too, or buy the sub first, then get the surround/centre speakers......then finally a DVD player.....et voila, you will have a spankingly good sounding system, with both music and movies :)

btw, sorry, i havnt heard the Q series you mentioned, so i wont comment on how they are compared to what i've mentioned.....and i've just realised, did that £600 have to take in to account a DVD player too?....if it did then for the time being find a cheap but decent Toshiba for around £60 to make do untill you can afford one to match the amp.........it seriously is worth taking a year or two buying better components, you end up with something much more lovable than buying as much as you can to begin with for a smaller sum......