Help n Stuff

I

its_pj

After flicking a coin for either the Nikon D70 or the Canon 350D and from reading lots and lots and lots and some more reviews it landed my decision for a DSLR, on the side of the 350.

It was like trying to take the plunge off the 50 foot springboard, nearly there, nearly there, ooops now here's the edge.....uhmmmmm?

Reason for the move up? Well my Minolta A1 sensor went all sort of cerise pink on me, then faded and gave me what looked like radio interference on a nasty dark screen and then graciously....died. Just as well cos I was close to kicking it to death anyway.

I now need to move on and it's time to stop delaying the purchase of a DSLR.

Not an easy thing to do is it? Purchase a DSLR! Not as easy as I first envisaged at all. Continually flooded with so many reasons why you should buy brand A over brand B, the amount of pics to a card on a full battery, the build quality, the sensor cleaning technology or the lack of it. Then bombarded with techno babble, flustered with changing prices and technology, within days sometimes. Then there are the battles that ensue when you mention a particular feature that one has over the other and all this for free. Exciting stuff isn't it when something quite trivial is mentioned and the discussion suddenly sucks in members from all brand camps and the whole Globe is on your case. I have left a few sites shot through with grapeshot and a white flag in flames.

Anyway, I want to address lenses for the u/m listed areas of photography and could do with some guidance on what's hot for a Canon and whats not.
I've already had steerage toward the Sigma 50-500 lens for wildlife! I also need to take on-board apparently, some sort of aberration to the sensor which increases things by 1.5 or in the case of the Canon, 1.6? Am I doing the right thing here I ask myself?
  • Wildlife.
  • Macro
  • WideAngle
  • General photography including portraiture.
Any advice will be humbly accepted and with huge amounts of gratitude.

One little final request, please don't tech me out, cos I'll just sort of fizz and pop and drool and stutter and....anyway it's an endless list that you don't want to know about. Appreciate your time folks.

Thanks now.
:thumbsup:

mr jones

Novice Member
for portraiture and things like that (and macro if your prepared to use extension tubes) you cannot go far wrong with a 50mm f1.8 lens, both canon and nikon do them ( as well as most other manufacturers) and it is hands down one of the best ways to spend £70 on bits for an SLR camera,

the sensor crop is down to the fact that if you put a DLSR's sensor ontop of a peice of negative camera film, the DSLRs sensor is smaller, thus it only uses the centre portion of the lens (for which its focal length is stated such as 200mm) therefore (exactly the same as digital zoom works, you effectively get some magnification of the image, nikons cameras crop at 1.5x and canons crop at 1.6x(in the case of the 350d, 20d, 30d etc) so your bigma sigma lens 50-500mm will become a (50*1.6 = 80mm to 500*1.6= 800mm) 80-800mm lens meaning you get greater zoom for your money.

this however means that for true wideangles theres a compromise, whats wide on a film SLR isnt that wide after the crop factor.

good luck with your choice,

ive got a 20D,and the 50mmf1.8 was the first lens i bought and it used to live on my camera, its a cracking peice of kit for the money

I

its_pj

Well we seem to be getting somewhere. Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Thanks too, for explaining the sensor thingy, see tech isn't my strongest point, I understand the principles of photography well enough and manual control of a camera. From my wet film days and B&W (now called greyscale I believe). I went to the bridge digital to get an idea of what was in store. It had full auto control which I enjoyed using, it allowed me to utilise the old days....what was frustrating was the amount of lost pictures due to the small buffer. I just couldn't keep up. Anyhoo, I'm slipping off my own topic area here.

I guess what I'm after, is a name to a lens to a price. What is going to be worth looking at across the four photographic areas of Zoom, Macro, Wide, General. A consensus of the best lens for the right job.

Anybody else? :)

h4rri

Novice Member
Canon Lens EF-S 60mm f2.8 USM Macro - £270 [Great for Macro & portrait]
Canon Lens EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM - £475 [Great wide lense]
Canon Lens EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM - £399 [Fantastic walkabout lense]
Canon Lens EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM - £399 [Good zoom]

Or if the funds are a bit low:

Sigma Lens 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM - £289
Sigma Lens 18-125mm f3.5-5.6DC - £179
Sigma Lens 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 DG Macro - £185

Just my 2 penneth and hope it helps, all prices from http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/

salubrious_k

Novice Member
Well I have the following lens for my 350D:

EF 50mm f/1.8 (£70) - Great for portrait and low light photography. Very light (about 130g) and so good to carry around in your camera bag and whack on if you go into a museum where they don't allow flash photography. A really good quality lens for the price.

EF 17-40 f/4 L (Cost me £400 in the US, I think it's about £550 in the UK) - A very good walk around lens. Takes superb quality photos and is constructed extremely well with a very good seal - I've used it in rain storms without being too concerned for water getting inside. It's almost a direct higher quality replacement for the kits lens as it's a very similar focal length (the kit lens is 18-55)

Other lens that I considered:

EF-S 17-85 IS (Same price as the 17-40 L I bought) - Pros: Image stabilisation and longer focal length. Cons: Not quite as good quality as the L lens, and it only works on the 1.6 crop factor Canons (so if you upgrade to a full frame camera like the 5D you would have to sell it).

I hope that helps...