Help! Mystery Humming

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AdamBenHamo, Mar 12, 2013.

1. AdamBenHamo

AdamBenHamo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone!

I have a really annoying humming problem with my new laptop/audio setup which is as follow;

I basically have a laptop, connected to an eternal monitor through HDMI, from there i have an AUX splitter, which lead to a hifi, and iPhone dock, which play any sounds that the monitor receives from the laptop through HDMI. There is also a separate cable from my hifi, which i use to plug anything else into the hifi system.

The humming noise is constant with this setup, and the only way to stop it is by either plugging the whole audio system directly to the laptop (avoiding the HDMI/Monitor) or by simply plugging something into the second hifi cable! I have tried removing the second hifi cable altogether, but there's no change!

Any help would be hugely appreciated! Thankyou!

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    Ground loops with laptops is all too common, and when you use HDMI connectivity, can be very hard to resolve.
    Running the laptop on batteries should fix it (charge up when not in use). You also seem to have found another pair of work-arounds. Since they're viable, just use one of them.

3. AdamBenHamo

AdamBenHamo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mark, thanks for your reply!

I've discovered that the monitor/hdmi combo "amplifies" the signal, so music becomes extremely loud, and as a result, any ordinary buzzing that isn't usally audible becomes annoying! I've simply turned down the dock and hifi, solving the problem, and leaving them more than loud enough! Thanks for your help!