help! my washing machine is broken

Marc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my washing machine was playing up yesterday, letting the water in, but then not spinning.

i did a bit of googling and it said that this might happen if the outlet hose is clogged.

i can get it working by squeezing the hose that goes from the drum to the outlet hose, but every time a wash finishes, it stops working again.

so today i decided to take off this hose to see if it had something clogged up in it, and found it had some sort of filter in it, made up of a cup, a ball and various pieces of plastic.

of course, it was just my luck that when i took this out, it fell to pieces and i can't for the life of me remember how it went together..

anyone out there able to help?

Attachments

• machine.jpg
    machine.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 122
at the moment it looks like you are a bit stuck - the thing that is confusing me is that the 3 items on the left look like you floss your teeth with them!!

Hopefully, there aren't loads of forum members currently removing their filters as they can be quite propriertry to each manufacturer - might be an idea to list your manufacturer - model - age so people will know if it is the same as there's

Also, was the filter located on the front or the rear of the washing machine. Also, google on spare parts for your model - you will find a supplier if you need to replace it.

If you get this filter sorted and you still have a problem, it might be an idea to consider the brushes if they are a couple of years old - especially if it just starts to kick off the spin and stops. Just pushing them in a bit can give you an extra few weeks while you source new ones. These are located on the motor and slip into channels. Make sure your machine is switched off before doing this:lesson:

Cheers

Lawrenso

PS Keep up the good work on the mediation thread

its a hotpoint WMT02

but.. i think i may have come to the same conclusion as lawrenso about the 3 hook type things on the right.. a bit more googling came up with this:
http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture99/ctcorp/Product-20031024155135-s.jpg which are indeed flossing toothpicks... :blush:

and my girlfriend thinks the other small bit of plastic is one of those things you put in the earth next to your plants so you know which one is which.. :blush: :blush:

The big bit on the left of the picture is the filter which will screw into the hole at the front of your washer.

The piece next to it, is it flat or ball shaped?

its a ball, i thought the other bits were clipped in under it, but i think one of my housemates must have left them in their pocket, that's probably why my washer stopped working!!

cheers for the suggestions guys, i will be popping the filter back in later on (minus the dental and gardening impliments) and i'll let you know if it still doesn't work!

Hope you get it sorted, Marc. :)

Another site here that I have used before:

http://www.washerhelp.com/

The others listed by pave are very good, too.

The advice from Lawrenso is sound, too. :smashin:

go get a new one !! give yourself the greatest satisfaction turfing this one in the skip at the dump ! ( you might need a friend to help you do that !)

Mrs AutomanUK said:
go get a new one !! give yourself the greatest satisfaction turfing this one in the skip at the dump ! ( you might need a friend to help you do that !)

lol it practically killed me and my girlfriend getting it upstairs when i moved in a few weeks ago, i don't think she'd be too chuffed having to lug it downstairs again!!

it seems to be working again anyway, now that i've put it back together again, although it's making a bit of a grinding noise at the moment, i dont think its anything to worry about though, it seems to be coming from the bit i put back together so i probably didn't do it perfectly enough..

Marc said:
lol it practically killed me and my girlfriend getting it upstairs when i moved in a few weeks ago, i don't think she'd be too chuffed having to lug it downstairs again!!

I'm sure that if it was a new Sub that you have the old one down and the new one up quick enough:D

Buy a new one and at least it'll be a few Brownie points for your next upgrade :thumbsup:

stevefish69 said:
Buy a new one and at least it'll be a few Brownie points for your next upgrade :thumbsup:

oh, she doesn't live here, & i upgrade whenever i like :D

Marc said:
it seems to be working again anyway, now that i've put it back together again, although it's making a bit of a grinding noise at the moment, i dont think its anything to worry about though, it seems to be coming from the bit i put back together so i probably didn't do it perfectly enough..

Should be OK, Marc, and that noise should hopefully clear after a while.

Our machine (well, my parents' 'cos I live at home!!! LOL) once got a load of plastic pegs from the curtains in it that took a few days to clear – horrible noises for a few days! – even though we took the filter apart and found none in it. What happened was that the pegs got stuck elsewhere in the pipes. No damage done, but it was an awful sound when the machine emptied! :eek:

I'm going to sound really domesticated now (LOL!), but every so often – say, once a month – run the machine completely empty with a normal amount of detergent (preferably a biological powder/tablets like Ariel) on a 95 degree cotton wash. That helps clear out the insides as well. No necessarily relevant here, I guess, but worth a mention! (Info like this is on those websites, too.)

Anyway, ‘bloke mode' back on now! ;) Errr… subwoofers… interconnects… 100W per channel… 5.1, 6.1, 7.1… Arcam… Cambridge Audio… Sony… plasma… LCD… PS3… Xbox 360… :cool: :D :)

Ahh… that's better! ;)

Carl :)

Carl Stock said:
Should be OK, Marc, and that noise should hopefully clear after a while.

Our machine (well, my parents’ ’cos I live at home!!! LOL) once got a load of plastic pegs from the curtains in it that took a few days to clear – horrible noises for a few days! – even though we took the filter apart and found none in it. What happened was that the pegs got stuck elsewhere in the pipes. No damage done, but it was an awful sound when the machine emptied! :eek:

I’m going to sound really domesticated now (LOL!), but every so often – say, once a month – run the machine completely empty with a normal amount of detergent (preferably a biological powder/tablets like Ariel) on a 95 degree cotton wash. That helps clear out the insides as well. No necessarily relevant here, I guess, but worth a mention! (Info like this is on those websites, too.)

Anyway, ‘bloke mode’ back on now! ;) Errr… subwoofers… interconnects… 100W per channel… 5.1, 6.1, 7.1… Arcam… Cambridge Audio… Sony… plasma… LCD… PS3… Xbox 360… :cool: :D :)

Ahh… that’s better! ;)

Carl :)
:rotfl: :rotfl: so true :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom