1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! My Seleco 350+ needs some life support!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boy Lex, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:
    Ok so I've only had this machine for a couple of weeks. When I got it, the green tube was completely funged up so I pulled it out (didn't disconnect it). De funged it and finished reassembling it tonight. I was really looking forward to seeing a nice crisp non funged up image. Turned it on and 'poof'.

I had the top open and noticed smoke coming from (or near) a big white resistor? at the very rear left side (behind the blue tube). :mad:

The pj now powers up, you hear the tubes sparkle (sorry for description!). The light at the back then goes green to orange powers off and then tries again. It repeats this cycle over and over and nothing comes out of the tubes. On the board nearby the red LED furthest towards the back stays lit.

Any ideas of what could have caused this (like I said I didn't disconnect anything) and what I can do to try and diagnose and repair it?

:lease:

I thought I was breathing new life back into this machine but now I've taken it away!!

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok bit of an update!

I have been trying to figure out what I might have done to cause this - no bent pins on the tube or anything... Only thing I can think of is that I may have damaged the high voltage cable from the board to the tube, so I resoldered this to be sure. I pulled out the deflection board which was the one with the smoking components and I noticed that one of the resistor/fuses (the white ones) had popped open, so I re-soldered it and put the board back in.

Turned it on again and the same resistor has popped open again and the symptoms remain the same. The same fault LED is on. Any ideas what else might be causing this?

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further update:

I think the LED that comes on is the vertical deflection. The component that was smoking was a 47 Ohm resistor on the deflection board. I replaced the resistor with a fresh 47 Ohm resistor and this has started smoking too so I switched it off before the usual fuse type thing popped open. So I guess something somewhere is shorted - any ideas what it might be - can't see anything obvious.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    You're not getting much help here. Have you tried calling the engineers at Owl for a bit of guidance?

Regards

5. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris. I'll give that a go next - think I've done most of what I can do on my own.

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)
    Thanks for the advise Chris and thanks to the guys at Owl video - WOW!!! :smashin:

Sent a quick e-mail to them and very quickly got a reply saying that I should replace the vertical deflection frame IC... Got hold of one for a few quid. Did the soldering and put it back together with a new resistor too... held my breath... switched her on and BINGO!!!

Chuffed to bits - she works again and only for a few quid and a few hours of head scratching. Happy new Year!!!