1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - My PW7 just broke (I think)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lisag, Apr 10, 2005.

1. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I had it connected to PC via DVI input, whilst I was out the room it switched itself to standby, when I switched it back on it would not recognise either the DVI or Scart inputs - only the VGA.

So, I removed the power lead, removed and replaced both terminal boards, and it now seems ok again.

Should I start to panic?

lisa
    :(

2. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used to get this quite often with DVI connection to my computer monitor, the screen kept going into standby and would only come back when everything was disconnected and connected again. It started happening more and more often. I changed monitors, but it still happened. I tracked the problem down to my PC video card that needed changing (only DVI, VGA was fine). It was one of the newest components so didn't expect it to be that. Are you by any chance using an HTPC? If so, I would take a look at the graphics card.

Abs

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Oh no, it's my brand new fanless gigabyte 6600gt graphics card...I don't want it to be that :(

Thanks for the reply though, I suppose rather it is that than the plasma!

lisa

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i had the same thing with my pc today....pc was fine but monitor staying in standby...i changed connection from dvi ti vga and it was fine!!

5. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    How strange... also now when I am scrolling round the different inputs I have to press the input button twice to move from input 1 (scart) to input 2 (dvi) at one point the screen displayed video1 then s-video 1 then input 2, it seems to think that it has 3 input boards :confused:

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    with the scart board you press it once for rgb and again for composite...it has 2 settings so that is normal

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Oh, thanks I didn't know that - all seems to be ok now then, will see if it happens again!

8. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Is this happening when your pc is trying to put your monitor in standby?

9. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lisa,

Sorry for going off topic, and maybe with the problems you're having I shouldn't be asking, but I am looking to put together a new PC and have settled on a 6600GT based card. Your "fanless" comment caught my interest. Which brand of card do you have? I assume that it also doesn't need an extra power connector that many graphics cards seem to need nowadays.

- Julian

10. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    ukdan - it could be that couldn't it - which on its own would be quite a good feature, but the fact that even after I had disconnected and reconnected the power cord it would not recognise the scart or dvi inputs was a bit worrying.

JulianL - It is a Gigabyte 6600gt, they do a 6800gt version too and AGP and PCI-Express, you can read all about it right here

lisa

11. mucca_D

mucca_D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    This is defo strange, as my pannel did nto do this untill las night when i changed input and the picture went B&W looked did the RTFM and there it was. but why did it not do it before ia ask????

12. rizingdamp

rizingdamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have PW7 with scart board on input 1..and I don`t get 2 choices....ie I press input once and it moves onto input 2.

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    maybe it depends on whats connected then (or whether the scart that's connected can handle comp abd rgb)...but i didn't think so....i have ps2 and it does it

14. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't get a choice with either Sky or PS2, but it certainly looks like RGB anyway, especially when you compare it to the Sky picture if you turn RGB off in the Sky settings.

15. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Just for purposes of 'research' I have a scart board in input1, which is empty, a DVI board in input2 with my PC connected, and a JS box into the VGA port - no other slots as it is a 37".

I have to press input twice to move from input1 to input2, but I can't remember if it has always been that way, or if this has newly occurred since my unfortunate incident the other night!

I think I will change the power settings on the pc though, in case, as suggested, my PC is attempting to turn the plasma off, and the plasma doesn't like it...

lisa

16. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    lisa...i never noticed this until one of the 'experts' here mentioned it, and i forget which one, but it is meant to be a standard feature but whether that's true in all slots I know not.

17. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I have isolated this problem now...

If I have my PC connected via DVI and I switch the plasma off, when I turn the plasma back on it gets stuck on VGA input, and will not scroll through the other inputs.

To fix it I have to disconnect the power and the DVI lead to the plasma, re-connect and it is ok.

This doesn't happen if I switch the plasma on to standby via the remote, only if I hit the power button on the panel.

Weird aye?

lisa