Help! My portable DVD player messed up...

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by lopieDD, Aug 5, 2005.

1. lopieDD

lopieDD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Used my portable DVD player on a long 9 hr. drive using cigarette lighter adapter. It was fine until the ride home.

I went to plug it in, but it wouldn't power up. Thinking it was my car's fuse, I replaced it. Still nothing. I then went to an auto parts store & purchased new fuses for the cig. light adapter.

They kept blowing, so I went to Walmart & they set me up with some other "weaker" fuses. Still nothing.

I even tried using the battery pack, but no luck. I can't even get the fuses that were blowing to break now.

I've not even had the thing a yr. & the warranty was only for 3 mos.

Any ideas what is wrong, or what I can do/try, before shipping it off? Any help/assistance/tips would be appreciated.

Thanx,
    LopieDD

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    If it was taking the fuse out then it was futile to keep replacing the fuse. Did you hope it would magicaly repair it's self and all would be ok? You really need to get a competent repair tech to look it over and assess the extent of the damage. Why 3 months warranty,was it a refurb unit?

The above is not intended to sonund harsh btw :) and welcome to the board :smashin:

3. Hooky

Hooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    sounds like you have cooked something inside the unit. Maybe something on the power supply has blown. Probably not designed for such heavy usage? if you have tried a new battery pack and still no joy then its has to be a fault within the unit itself. Take it back mate. Thats all you can do.

(Lynx) A little harsh mate although you are right LOL

Hooky

4. lopieDD

lopieDD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What!? You guys don't believe in magic or miracles? :rolleyes:

It actually worked for a min. when I first changed the fuse, but when I switched on the 2nd monitor, it blew. I tried it again (with a new fuse) thinking it was the 2nd monitor that overloaded it...blah-blah, etc.

The unit was bought brand new in the box, but unfortuatelly has virtually no warranty. Good news is I called tech. support & it's only $45.00 to fix it, and if they can't, they'll replace the unit.

I'm having them send some of the original fuses, too. :smashin:

btw-not harsh at all...

Thanx & later-

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I'm guessing you are in the US ? 3 month warranties seem to be the norm.. so for once we do not do too bad over here with at least a years warranty :)