Help my new hitachi 42pd5300 does not work!

simon391088

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have just taken delivery of a brand new Hitachi 42pd5300, however it seems to have a big problem.
When I click on the standby button or press the button on the front of the media box it switches off. However, having done this there is no way to switch it back on again. All it does is switches the plasma screen on, waits a few seconds then switches it off. The light on the front of the media box alternates between off and red.
However, for no reason the media box sometimes makes a whirring sound and the green light comes on, at which point I can watch TV again.

Obviously i will be phoning Hitachi tomorrow, however has anyone come accross this before?

Thanks
Simon
(Not Happy)

Does the screen come up with any message at all? Have you pressed the AV button on the remote to scroll thru the various inputs? Are your 'input devices' switched on? If so, why ring Hitachi instead of the dealer?

Hi,
No message or picture is displayed when it is being switched on and off repeatedly by the media box. I cannot go through the inputs as the screen is not on. No buttons respond on the media box, it just repeatedly switches the screen on and off. It does it with just an arial and no other input devices. I will phone the dealer first.
In the manual it clearly says what should happen when you switch it on for the first time. This did not happen.
Simon

Short of suggesting that you have the umbilical cord connected properly between the control box and TV, I don't know what else to suggest. Take a good look at the round plugs on this cable - make sure that there are no bent/missing pins. Also, is there any indicator light on the screen itself ?

Hi Nick,
If I switch the tv to standby then both the tv and media box show a red light.
Then when I resume from standby the green light comes on on the tv and the tv powers up. However the media box light goes out and it makes a click sound. Then after 5 seconds the media box light goes red with another click, then the media box light goes out with a click, it repeats this about 5 times, then the TV switches off and the light turns to red and the media box light goes out.

The solution is that I have to completely unplug the media box and leave unplugged for 5 minutes, then when plugged back in it works.

I have spoken to the dealer and they basically said the media box is probably faulty and they'll send me a new one.

I can use the screen, just have to remember not to put it on standby!

One another note, I notice that Nick, you also have a 5300... When Sky+ start broadcasting HDTV next year, how will it connect to the 5300? Component Ports? It seems to be a big problem that the dvi? port is used by the media box.
Is the 5300 technically an HD ready plasma?

Edit: After looking round the forum, clearly I am not alone with this problem e.g. http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-136460.html

Thanks
Simon

You are not alone with the HD problem either. The story so far is that you will need a DVI to connect HD devices. Hope the media box swap goes OK.

simon391088 said:
...... One another note, I notice that Nick, you also have a 5300... When Sky+ start broadcasting HDTV next year, how will it connect to the 5300? Component Ports? It seems to be a big problem that the dvi? port is used by the media box.
Is the 5300 technically an HD ready plasma?

I will not be rushing out to buy a new Sky box and subscription to watch SkyHD in 2006. When the majority of programmes and channels are in HD (which I estimate will be 2009-2010), I will worry about it then. I have done a few HD trials with this TV using HD clips with a PC connected via the VGA port, and the "wow factor" was not big enough to have me charging out of the house, cheque book in hand :)

Hi Guys,
I have spoken to the dealer and Hitachi this morning.

Hitachi have confirmed that the 42pd5300 is not Hi def compatible.

The dealer said they were told it was.

I was told by several dealers that 'the 42pd5300 is the same as the 42pd5200 but has a media box so is ideal for wall mounting'. The also said it was 'hi-def compatible'. Unfortunately neither of these statements are completely true although I have no doubt that the dealers did not realise this.

The fault I have experienced has been confirmed by Hitachi as a fault. Therefore I have asked the dealer to swap my system for the 42PD5200. They seemed fine about this although they will be confirming this later today.

I take your points Nick, but I would definately upgrade to Sky HD and the resale value of a plasma screen without HD will be a lot less than one with HD.
Did you realise it would not be HD compatible when you purchased it? If not, would you have still gone ahead if you had?

Thanks
Simon

simon391088 said:
I take your points Nick, but I would definately upgrade to Sky HD and the resale value of a plasma screen without HD will be a lot less than one with HD.
Did you realise it would not be HD compatible when you purchased it? If not, would you have still gone ahead if you had?

I think you are under a number of false illusions.

1. SkyHD will cost a lot more than Sky SD, and you will probably only get a few HD channels, and these will probably only have a limited amount of HD material on them. There simply isn't enough HD material around for a full-time HD service in 2006. All these channels* will be Sky channels, and none of the other channels found on Sky have announced a start date for HD.

2. To get full HD capability, you will need to change your Sky box and your DVD player. I estimate this will cost you in the region of £500 to £750. This has to be a guess, since the final standard for HD DVD is still undecided, therefore there aren't that many players available.

Was I worried about HD compatability when I bought the TV ? No.

Am I worried now ? No. As I said before, it will be at least 2009-2010 before the majority of TV output is in HD, and by that time I will probably be in the market for a new TV anyway.

* P.S. To fulfil their HDTV commitment, Sky only need to broadcast HDTV on one channel, and that may be all that you get.

Be intresting to see how sky eventualy handle the HDTV broadcasts ie:-fromat/programms etc, whatever the outcome you can bet (knowing sky) it'll cost a hefty premium! remains to be seen how many rush to purchase.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom