Help my Mum ditch her 21" CRT! £600 to spend.

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by LeeroyB, Feb 8, 2009.

1. LeeroyB

LeeroyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My Mum is finally ditching the 21" CRT and stepping up to something a little better!

She always tends to pick one which "looks nice" - but my theory is go for the best one you can get for your money! So I said I'd ask you guys for your advice.

A couple she's written down are the Sony KDL32W400 and the 37LG7000.

She wouldn't want to go any bigger than a 37".

Her sole use is for watching Sky and DVD's, but I think she would like to get a Blu-Ray player down the line to go with her new TV.

I'd say the picture quality is one of the most important things to her.
    Her limit is probably £600, and if possible she would like a 5 year guarantee (save her having to pay extra for this).

I'd be grateful for any suggestions you can throw my way.

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    PANASONIC TX32LZD80 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc. Good deal, could get John Lewis to price match, or just get the 5 yr cover from Richer Sounds for ~£50

Unfortunately the 37" might be out of reach budget wise..

Alternatively, I can strongly recommend this if you can find one in stock. Not 1080p but truly fab SD and Blu-ray quality for the cash! £550 with 5 year cover

PANASONIC TH37PX80 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Not the prettiest TV but who cares ;)

3. LeeroyB

LeeroyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks.
    I think the latter one would appeal more due to it being 37" and also with 100hz. I don't know exactly how much she'd be missing out on by not having a TV which is 1080p? I also note this one's a Plasma.

It's looking like it's back to the drawing board anyway, as I called my local store and they don't have this in stock.

4. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    She won't be missing anything at this size by it not being 1080p... if anything her stuff will look better since she will not be using even HD content by the looks of it!

5. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  6. skinnymalinky

skinnymalinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Being a mum she will probably be watching SD Tv via freeview, in which case the 37PX80 will blow any LCD away in terms of picture quality :smashin: as Vicster has already pointed out.

7. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    37PX80 hands down, SD is far far better than any LCD, HD is stunning too, brilliant set, no desperate need for 1080p, I have one and the brilliant blacks/colours etc... more than makes up for that small loss, blu-ray looks stunning, get that one, by far the best TV you can get for the money.

Alternatively you could spend less and get the LG 32PG6000, it looks nicer but the Panasonic pretty much outclasses it really, although SD on the LG is good and HD is too, it doesn't quite match the Panasonic. If you want design the LG, if you want a brilliant PQ etc... (and a set that is almost bomb proof) then Panasonic all the way...I say Panny

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  8. LeeroyB

LeeroyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you all very much for your advise and reassurance on the Panny. I have passed your wise words onto Mum and she's ready to make a purchase!

Would you say that extra warranty is important, or is it safe to assume that if it breaks down after the first year that you could use the 'Sale of Goods Act 1979' spiel if within 5 years to have it fixed?
    The only places that have this tv in stock are charging a bomb for an extra 5 years.

9. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    I don't have a warranty beyond the manufacturers 1 year warranty, some people charge the same as a new set would cost for 5 years