Help my missus buy me a DVD recorder!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mfidiothead, Jan 11, 2005.

1. mfidiothead

mfidiothead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I'm totally new to this but have found these forums to be incredibly useful (esp. Rasczak ). I had bought a Philips HDRW720 but took it back after reading the reliability issues (I hadn't even tried it but it was a birthday pressie not to be opened till the big day, & I had to take advantage of the 7day Currys return policy)

I wanted something with Sky+ functionality without the tax to Murdoch. The HDRW seemed to offer this but if it breaks all the time then not for me!

So what I've asked Mrs Me for is a Technisat Digicorder T1, which will perfrom Sky+ using Freeview and Topup TV. It lacks MHEG (not sure of spelling) so I won't be able to use the interactive red button, but this is not an issue (I'll be keeping my old sky box anyway to watch the FTA channels while recording on the T1)

I've found out that my lovely inlaws have bought me an amp (Yamaha RXV350) & I'll sort out the speakers (probably Yamaha NSP100) but what I need to know (or rather what my missus needs to know) is:

Which DVD recorder do I go for? If the Technisat box doesn't perform well, I'll send it back immediately (I'm allowed to try it before the big day so I can take advantage of the 2week change your mind clause) & get either the Toshiba RDXS32 or JVC MHR30 as these both have setellite control, hard disks & RGB in/out.

However, if the T1 is good I don't know which one to get! I've more or less decided on the Panasonic E55, but was worried about the following features:
    - automatic chaptering on DVD-R. Does this mean the DVD-R will forget where a program starts & finishes, or is that to do with the titles? So if I record 4 episodes of friends, will it keep the titles for the episodes, with automatic chapters as well?
    - recording in 4:3 - does this mean I'll loose the widescreen "edges" or will it retain all the info and just reformat it as 4:3 (in which case I believe my sony 32" CRT will autoformat anyway)?
    - will I be able to transfer my video cassettes onto DVD without worrying about copy protection?
    - is it any good for very basic analogue camcorder editing?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide - and please feel free to comment on any other aspect of the setup...

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Many thanks - it always is good to know someone appreciates the advice. I do spend a fair amount of time typing up advice here and tend to get more abuse than thanks, so it's always nice to know someone finds it useful!

For general advice can I recommend this site which was written by myself and a couple of others. It's only partially complete but does answer some of the more common FAQs.

The automatic chaptering occurs within titles, i.e. if you record 4 episodes to a disc the each of those episodes will have a seperate menu option and will play when you select it. The chapters within the episode will occur automatically at the time period stated.

All DVD recorders will record what is being fed to them. Thus your recorder, whichever one you get, will record an anamorphic widescreen image or a 4:3 one. However what many will not do is record the Widescreen Switching Signal (WSS).

This is not a massive issue. Most TVs have an 'Aspect' or 'Widescreen' button that will return an anamorphic widescreen image to the correct ratio (by stretching the picture or adding black bars). Thus the effect of not recording the Widescreen Switching Signal is that you will have to simply press a button on their TV handset.

Note that if you record in Video Recording (VR) Mode onto a HDD, DVD-RAM or DVD-RW (VR) it will generally preserve the WSS - it certainly does on the Panny. However a recording in video mode (DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RW (Video mode), DVD+R DL) will generally NOT record the WSS. In such situations you would need to press your Aspect or Widesceen button on your TV to enable non-distorted viewing.

There are a few exceptions: the Toshiba RDXS32 allows users to manually set the flag on a DVD-R disc. All credit to the Sony range though - these models will set the flag automatically whether recording in VR mode or Video mode. But to be honest the whole thing is a non-issue as simply pressing the 'Aspect' or 'Widescreen' preserves it.

Are they commercial tapes? If so then you may need to get a macrovision disabling scart - easy enough to find but we're not allowed to link to them here. Do an internet search...

It has no iLink - for that look at the next model up (the DMR-E65) - but you can connect via S-Video. Editting is good but you would need to use DVD-RAM for this: so compatibility with other players will be poor unless you follow my PC guide on conversion (see signature!) or spend a little more on a HDD/DVDR combo such as the Toshiba RDXS32 or Panasonic E85/E95.

3. mfidiothead

mfidiothead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that is exactly what I needed to know. Providing the Technisat box is up to scratch, the E55 is for me! Otherwise the RDXS32.

Thanks for all the advice, & the prompt response!

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    No problem - have I answered the point you raised in your PM sufficiently as well - I had a quick glance but couldn't see another post.

5. mfidiothead

mfidiothead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - it was basically the same question...

Cheers!