1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help my iPod wont work with my computer

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Fents, Apr 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Fents

Fents

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but i'll give it a bash

I have recently bought an iPod photo (60gb) and it refuses to work with my computer (Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D 2.8GHz pentium, windows XP home, 512 RAM, Norton security).

It will work very intermittently initially and then not at all. After which iTunes will not load when you connect the iPod and the computer will then sit there for 10 mins before saying you need to re-format your ipod. I have done this (which also takes ages) and it will work maybe once or twice before again refusing to work. I have enabled the iPod for disk use (and it does seem to work with my work computer in this capacity) but my computer will still spend ages (15mins) trying to access the iPod before either giving up or going so slowly that i give up.

I suspect a computer problem and i have de-fragged, etc. is there anybody with a similar experience - or maybe something i could try - i don't really want to have to send the ipod back (which their tech support has suggested) if there is an easy fix on my computer.

Thanks

Fents

PS if this is the wrong place to ask - does anyone know of a 'right' place

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,883
    This is the right place for your post.
    Are you connecting your iPod via Firewire or by USB2 ? I assume it did work initially so was there something you loaded on your PC or did something happen to stop it working ?

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I had a similar problem with a 40gb ipod. My mini ipod worked fine as did the wifes 40gb ipod. Plugged in another 40gb and it did what you said...either didn't recognise the ipod, took absolutely ages (15/20 mins) or broke the itunes connection.

I ran the update program (which took yonks to come back and say there was anything connected). Once I updated (or was it restore? the option that reformats) the ipod with the latest software the problems went away.

So my recommendation is to download the latest software update and update your ipod. I found the option on the updater that allows you to update only the software not not reformat did not fix the problem.

Good luck Fents :)

It does occasionally crash the ipod if I try copying 16gb of music to it in one hit. It works fine if I split it into chunks.

I've now got a mini ipod and a 60gb photo and they both work fine.

4. Fents

Fents

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

I am using USB2 - I have both updated the iPod and re-formatted it several times all with the same effect. It will work the first one or two times and then simply stop working.

JUS your experience does sound familiar - only mine has not started working again. (incidentally how to you break up the download from iTunes).

Something else happens which may be a clue to people cleverer than me - my computer gets very hot, the fan on maximum, to the extent where it has actually completely shut down instantly (it doesn't normally get this hot).

maybe i need them to replace it - but it just sounds like it might be a problem with my laptop

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,883
    I have a laptop that keeps freezing when it gets hot, so I jack it up a little at the back (a few coins at both back corners) so that air can circulate underneath it and it now doesn't overheat !

6. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I think I went to the apple support forum and followed some intructions. (weren't many threads so shouldn't be hard to find). It installs a new program in you programs...ipod...called "updater 2005-04-01" (or whatever the date is)

7. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Sorry my work has banned access to apple ipod related pages so I can't check for you :rollyeyes: