HELP!! My iMac is purring???

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by jazzytay, Jun 15, 2008.

1. jazzytay

jazzytay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had my new iMac 24" 2.8 for about 3 weeks now and last night I noticed a kind of buzzing coming from it. (if you can imagine a cat purring loudly this is what it sounds like). The loudness kind of oscillates from very quiet to quite loud (loud enough to be putting me off doing my university assignment).

Is this the HD making the noise (or fan even) and is this normal? It definately wasn't there when I first got it.

Cheers

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Mine is absolutely silent so that suggests you have a problem. The noisiest it gets is if you max both CPU cores out constantly for more than a minute, you can then hear a gentle wafting noise :)

I'd get on the phone to Apple.

Steve

3. jazzytay

jazzytay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah I thought I'd be making a call tomorrow, actually gonna have to put up with it for another 2 weeks till I complete my next 2 assignments, thats if I don't go stir crazy listening to the purring!!

4. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    That kind of thing happens with mine too. Comes and goes, doesn't put me off really as I have Planet Rock playing a lot of time. Sounds like the resonance from the hard disk gets louder like it's touching an adjacent panel or something.

5. Accylad

Accylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I had, sorry gone back to a PC, an iMac and no matter how hard it worked it was always quiet.

I would be calling Apple.

6. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Exact same problem here (and lots of people on other Mac forums have the same problem). I'm on my 2nd iMac after sending the first one back due to the "humming", new one is just the same. I'm going to just put up with it but it is annoying especially late at night. Seems to only affect the 24" 2.8GHz machines. It took quite a lot of persuading for Apple to exchange it, I had to send it off for repair first where they allegedly replaced a fan but it came back making the same noise.

Hope you have better luck.