1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! My Hitachi 42PD3000 buzzes! Is this OK?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Joel, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Last Thursday, I took the plunge and bought my Hitachi plasma TV. After having been reassured by the salesman that neither the screen nor the tuner box had fans, I felt comfortable buying it. When I came home and installed it, I was even more happy with the PQ than I had expected, but after a while I heard a noise.

The noise comes from the screen's far left and right sides, in the middle. It sounds like an electrical buzz of the kind you'd expect to hear from an old CRT or VCR in rec mode.

The noise is not very loud, but loud enough to be annoying during quiet scenes, and louder than I am used to on my old CRT.

Is this normal, or should I go back to the store for a new one?

What are the experiences from the other Hitachi owners on the forum? Please give my your input.

Oh, by the way: What are your preferred picture settings?

Kind regards,

Joel

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Had a 32PD3000 and it did exactly the same, swapped it for a Toshiba which was even noisier so swapped that for a Pio 433MXE which is completely silent and I'm very happy with it.

Andy

3. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This doesn't sound good at all. Anyone else?

Joel

4. bugaloo

bugaloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 32Pd3000. Noiticed the slight buzz in the first two weeks. Haven't heard any noise for last 3months. The PQ was best of all I saw (Pioneer/Philips/Sony) and it was also the most complete package. The AV unit needs good ventilation or you will hear the fan on it.

5. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Old news but I was amongst the many that thought that the Hitachi was pretty noisy at Nexnix.
    Also find the Fuji (same ALIS panel) is pretty annoying too.

I guess it's part of that type of panel design.

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If it makes a significant noise. then you should complain - regardless of whether other people have noisy machines or not - under the sale of goods act you can justifiably claim that the set is not fit for purpose (since one of your requirements was to have a machine that did not buzz) & as the set is less than a week old you can claim a replacement or refund.

7. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bugaloo: Did you just get used to it or did the noise in fact disappear? According to Hitachi Europe, neither the screen nor the tuner box has any fans FYI.

I think it's important to know whether this is a flawed screen or a built in shortcoming of the entire range, since that will affect how I approach my dealer. Asking for a new Hitachi might not be a problem, but replacing it with another brand of equal quality may prove more difficult since I got this one really cheap.

Joel

8. bugaloo

bugaloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    joel,

All plasma i've ever heard have a buzz. Some are fainter but they all buzz. Try replacing ur unit if it is noiser than the one u saw on display.

On my unit I can hear a faint buzz if get very close the screen (<1ft) otherwise its fine (i watch from about 9ft distance). The buzz gets louder (never instrusive) when there is lot of whites on display. The AV box was only noisy when new (more a humm rather than a buzz); and if has no fan as you say i'm not sure what was making the noise.

Did you buy ur unit from QED-UK? They had a misprinted price (yesterday) for your unit @ £2729 inclusive of VAT and Delivery (still shows this price on Kelkoo), this has changed to £3099 this morning (still an excellent price).

zAndy1,

How does the PQ on Pio 433 compare with the Hitachi?
    Every side by side displays i've seen shows the pd3000 to be far superior on overall PQ than any other make. The Panny's did have better blacks though.

9. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so what you're saying is that the noise (if any) on the screen remains the same as when you bought it, while the noise in the tuner box has faded?

I bought my TV in Sweden. Plasma has not reached UK prices quite yet, I'm sad to say, and most likely never will.

Anyone else with my problem with the screen?

Joel

10. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Saw the 32PD3000 on display today at Allders and that a slight buzz which I could hear standing right next to it; not enough to put me off thinking of buying it though! :)

11. bugaloo

bugaloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joel,
    My DVD player (tosh 220e) and the NTL Cable box are noiser than Tuner Box now and they're not that noisy. I don't notice the screen noise from where I watch (~9ft)

12. Josh Bear

Josh Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have the 42PD3000. I can hear a buzz as well. I have had it for about a month. That said it is not that bad and can only just hear it at quiet moments and only then if I listen for it. It is true that it gets worse when there is alot of white on the screen and it seems worse at certain times of the day.

I am okay with this because the piccture quality and the sound are brilliant.

Just my opinion.

Josh

13. PierreH

PierreH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a 32PD3000 - yes it buzzes (and the shop demo did as well) but it is not intrusive. The PQ is fantastic, the connectivity is excellent and it looks like a domestic product rather than a commercial unit.

The only realistic options for me were a 30inch LCD (no buzzing but the picture was not up to scratch) or 37 inch Panny (relatively poor PQ, industrial looks, no tuner box and it also buzzed). 32 inch Philips was not up to scratch IMHO - didn't check it for buzzing.

Stick with it for a few weeks and see if you can live with it.

14. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your comments.

I have decided that I can't live with the buzz on my screen, and that it seems louder than some of you describe. My wife is not picky, and even she is clearly disturbed by the noise. I will swap the screen for a new Hitachi, and if that doesn't work, I will get another brand.

Joel

15. sjn123

sjn123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a new Hitachi 32PD3000 and although overall I am pleased, I am disappointed with the buzzing noise which I was not aware was a problem.
    Hence I was interested to note other owners having similar problems.
    Joel: how did you get on with replacing your unit?
    I am interested to know if I should insist on a replacement or just "put up with it".

16. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Hitachi and the Fuji, both ALIS panels, DO have fans. Whoever in Hitachi Europe that said they didn't was wrong.

I have now hung a Pio 433MXE on my wall in place of the Fuji HHA. I'll put some broader comparisons together during the week, but, immediately I can confirm that, for a fact the MXE makes no sounds audible beyond about 2".

The Fuji made noise that could be heard 6m away.

Hallelujah !!!!

17. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your sort of correct! The Hitachi's do have fans but the pd3000e does not have any fans in the panel, the processor is in the media box so thats were the fan is.

18. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sjn123: I have told my dealer that I want to replace the screen with another brand, since I am told that my level of noise is factory standard. I don't think that should be aproblem. Now, it leans towards a Pioneer 433 HDE, but I want to listen to it in a quiet environment first.

Joel

19. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still, it's not the fan noise I am referring to. It comes from the transformers in the screen and gets louder the whiter the picture is.

Joel

20. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My 42PD3000 buzzes too. At first it wasn't too noticable, but now it can be clearly heard above normal listening levels. I am having the problem investigated, and will post more details as I have them

Because the picture quality is so impressive I have been able to over look this problem

21. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kenny,

You're right...I was thinking of the Hitachi 400e which is more a like4like comparison.

Regarding what the noise actually is, I am not 100% sure whether it was the fan motors or transformers.

I certainly not the spinning of the fan propeller itself, but, more the noise of the motor that drives the fans. On the Fuji, they come on as soon as the screen comes on and you can easily trace there whereabouts on each side of the screen.
    Go to the service menu and switch the fans on high and you can them hear the wind noise.

Anyhow, I am sure that the screens are well within spec for their noise limits...just out of my own tolerance levels. Others may find them no issue which is great since it is a great picture.

22. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My Panasonic buzzes, at first in drove me nuts. I thought it was faulty but after several searches on here and listening to several other Plasmas I realised that they all do it. The buzz seems to be heard by some people more than others.

I found that the buzz was being amplified by the back wall (my screen is on a stand and not wall mounted), I came to this conclusion when I hung a thick towl on the wall behind the screen and the buzz WENT! I also found that simply moving the screen closer to the wall reduced the buzz as well.

Someone on these forums (can't remember who) also used materials from http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/absorbers/profoam.htm.

Hanging a towl on the wall my be may be a placebo effect but the prinicple makes sense to me!

I am now a happy, buzz free plasma owner!

23. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to jhjerpe's excellent advice, the buzz is now gone! My TV was placed 15 cm from a brick wall, which amplified the buzz. When I hung a towel on the wall the buzz disappeared, as did it when I put the TV right next to the wall.

Thanks for the advice. Now, I'm a happy camper again!

Joel

24. adamsonp

adamsonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my 42PD3000 about 2 weeks ago now and I have to say I have yet to hear this so called 'buzzing' even if I put my ear up to the panel <4" then I still cannot hear a buzz.. (however I can feel the heat of the panel on my ear)

I dont consider myself particularly deaf...

Bought mine from NexNix ...

25. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think that's because you have the model with the tuner box and it may be more a 'feature' of the screens-only models like the 400e and the Fuji HHA.

Eithre way, though, great that you don't have an issue

26. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just got my 42pd3000 and can report mine buzzes! But I will say you cannot hear it over normal TV volume.

What sort of picture setting are people using on thier PD3000??

27. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to ask! Anyone using the centre speaker option?? Were you can connect your AV amp centre pre out to the av box and use the tv speaker for your centre channel??

Cos I have and the AV box doesnt seem very sensitive so ive had to set my amp to max volume for the center channel and still have to have the screen volume far higher than for normal listening! ANyone else come across this??

28. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes! I was planning on using the centre speaker input function, but it proved unusable.

I have used a Sony rear-pro TV in the past, where when you select the "Centre in" mode for the built-in speaker, the volume control is ignored, and it just feeds through what is input.

However, the Hitachi 42PD3000's volume control still affects the volume when in this mode. Once I realised this, I tried to put the TV's volume level in the centre each time, as a reference level. But then I had to put the centre channel output volume on my AV amp at its highest setting. Even then it was too quiet, so I had to put the 42PD3000's volume up higher than half way. Then the problem was background buzzing from the speakers as their volume was set so high, as well as the nuisance of setting it to the correct level to get even sound from all speakers each time.

In the end I gave up, and am now just using the built-in speakers for TV use, and using a separate centre speaker from the AV amp for DVDs.

29. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yer thought as much! Im going to do the same, its a shame cos its a good idea.

Sunil does your screen buzz?? As ive already said mine does but its perfectly OK when watching at normal volumes. Ive only had it 4 days and every thing i watch on it just seems to get better, Ive been tweeking it scince I got it and think ive almost got the ideal setup for my picture preferances.

Does anyone else think the factory picture settings (cinema-natural ect) seem very bright??

30. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kenny,

Yes it is a shame, as it would have been logistically quite nice not to need a separate centre speaker above/below the screen.

On buzzing - I never notice even if the TV's volume is low. However, I do hear electrical buzzing when I go right up to the screen, and it seems to come from the centre when I look over the top.

You're right about the factory settings being high brightness/contrast. I leave my "Favourite" settings much lower, using the Cinema setting to impress visitors! It's a shame the 3 standard settings cannot be tweaked in the same way that the Favourite can.