HELP - My HDTV aint working on my Xbox 360 - do i need a HDMI cable!!

J

jjmartin

:lease:

Do i need to buy a HDMI cable and if so where is the place to go and also does this cable connect to the Xbox 360 and then into the HDTV!!

Just got the HDTV and can only play Xbox 360 games through the normal TV viewer!

Hope you can all help!!

No you don't need an HDMI lead.
If you bought the Core package you will need to buy either the component or VGA lead to get HiDef.

Read the instructions on how to connect it up.

Are you saying that you bought a new HD tv without first checking what connections it has ? Does it have component connection, if so use them. I belive there is going to be a HDMI cable avaliable for the 360 soon tho, maybe even available now, if you have a DVI connection on your set, you can get an adaptor to go with the 360 HDMI cable.

Yes i do have the components but when i plug them into the back of the TV nothing happens! But when i stick them into the Scart and then attach it to the TV - then i do get a picture!

But when i switch the HDTV on the Xbox the picture goes off and i cant get anything!!!!!!

Will only run through TV!!!

Do ALL the wires of the component go into the TV?

erm yeah
do you mean component or 'composite... yellow cable'

you need to connect the RED BLUE and GREEN plugs to the coresponding plugs on your screen/media box etc

Erm, sounds like you dont have the TV on the right channel to view with the component lead. Check your TV's manual if this is the case. :)

What tv is it out of interest ?

Not a samsung RPJ by chance

jjmartin said:
Yes i do have the components but when i plug them into the back of the TV nothing happens! But when i stick them into the Scart and then attach it to the TV - then i do get a picture!

But when i switch the HDTV on the Xbox the picture goes off and i cant get anything!!!!!!

Will only run through TV!!!

Do ALL the wires of the component go into the TV?

As has been said earlier, it sounds like you are using COMPOSITE, not COMPONENT. That will be your problem.

You can't view HD through a composite connection (Yellow/Red/White) you need the HD component lead (Red/Green/Blue) or a VGA lead.

Sounds like you are using the wrong cables because only the composite cables can be used with the scart adapter, not the component.

What you need to do is connect the component cables (Red/Green/Blue) to the corresponding plugs and make sure that the lead is set to HDTV and not TV.

do a search. you need to switch the HDTV switch on. its located on the end of the lead that plugs into the back of your 360..

blimey. Makes you wonder how many people will buy HDTVs and then plug their 360's in via scart or composite

Exclamation mark overload!!!!!!

I would think after all the advice so far you've probably got it going now, but just in case you need a sixth opinion, then yes sounds like you are plugging yourself into the composite.

The plugs on the Xbox component lead are colour coded to match red, green and blue. There will be component inputs on your TV also with red, green and blue and you ened to match these up. I think there's a switch on the component lead too, make sure that is set to HD. FInally you have to remember that component isn't like having something plugged into a scart, the TV won't auto change to an AV channel, you'll have to select the component source on your controls.

... and just in case you STILL haven't got enough info...

The component (R/G/B) connections do not carry sound. You will need separate connections for that. Either the Red and White audio leads, or a separate optical cable that plugs into the Component lead connector at the 360 end and then into an Amp/receiver.

... and you're there!

And after all that, if you still cant get it to work, ask your mum & dad to do it for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom