1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help my HCPC is dead

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pack Dude, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    When I turned on my pc yesterday it stopped at the boot screen. When I reset it and tried to boot again it got a little farther then stopped. Now I get nothing but a blank screen :( The fans come on the hard drive is turning but it will not post.

I have striped the PC right down to nothing but the video card and tested the ram in another PC, the ram is ok.

So I guess im left with a fault in the motherboard CPU or power supply, they are only three months old.

How can I tell which is at fault? There is no way I can try them out on another PC so I guess I will have to send them all back? And get stung for postage and god knows what else.
    Or is there another way I can find out which part is dead?

Motherboard Asus P4B533-VM
    Intell CPU 1.7

Its something I use everyday and its really killing me its not working :(

2. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You say you tested the RAM in another system, is there no way you could test the video card or get a loan of another video card to put in your system (even an old PCI card)?

At least this will rule out another one of the less troublesome areas it could be.

If not the video card, I would say it's most likely a fault in the motherboard, you have very similar symptoms to an ECS board I had, fortunately I had a spare and when I swapped them the problem disapeared, which confirmed the diagnosis.

I'm in the fortunate position of having lots of spare bits lying around but I know what it's like trying to fault find a PC.

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a similar problem which turned out to be a duff power supply rail. Took me all day to diagnose it. The only easy way to check is substitute a known good supply.

4. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks for the help. I used the power supply and video card from my other PC in it and still nothing.

Strange thing is when i turn it on the heat sink on the CPU heats up....

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One final thought, have you tried zapping the parameter ram? On an asus this will likely be a jumper. Otherwise, the only other thing I can think of apart from duff mobo is a bad connection (bit of fluff or whatever) in the AGP socket. But if it were that you'd usually get various bleeps when you try to start it.

Best of luck!